Source for touch up paint?

Cossington

Retro Guru
Hi,

I've just bought a new/ old frame that has quite a number of paint chips. I'd like to touch in the worst of them.

I have seen some on here refer to using modellers paint. Is this the best solution? What other options have you guys used?
How do you go about a colour match - do you take your bike frame into a modelling shop (which I'd like to avoid, if possible)? Is there an online source to get a reasonably close match (two different blues)?
Any pointers/ guidance gratefully received.

Thanks,

David

Re:

Nail varnish for small chips. Theres a huge range of colours so often you can find a good match. Plus it dries...well... as hard as nails :)

I wouldn't try and match a paint to anything you see on a computer screen, they are often quite different in real life. You used to be able to get a Humbrol colour chart for model paints but I don't know if your still can. Failing that, if you go down the nail varnish route I start with the wife's collection and then the daughters. If there's no match, its a trip to Boots where I buy what one or two that I think are close. Usually it works out.

I've used Humbrol modelling paint which worked well, bought a close match to the colour I needed and some white and grey to tint it and mixed up an almost perfect match.

scale aircraft modellers are meticulous about detail so there's bound to be some good online guidance for mixing/matching paints.

For larger areas you can buy a cheap air brush (I think mine was around £20), the type that uses screw on compressed air cans. In my experience this will give only a slightly better finish than a rattlecan from the auto spares place, however the biggest benefit is mixing your own colour.

Back