Questions surrounding Eddy Merckx UMX-S

MarcusAnder

Retro Newbie
Hi! Im new at this forum and in general to fancy pancy/retro road bikes. I know a decent amount surrounding bikes but i have som problems with this case.

I have to possibility to buy the Eddy Merckx UMX-S bike for approximately 375 pound/481 Euros. My question is then, as i have read people on the internet have stated that they dont like that the bike comes with eccentric BB, what does this mean and is it that bad? And if it is, is it possibly to change. Because I really like the frame and because i live in Sweden its hard to get a really good frame up here for under 175/200 pounds.

And btw, is there anything i should know before buying this bike?

Ty for your help/ Marcus

Ok, it's a single speed / fixed gear bike. You need to set a bit of chain tension on a SS bike or the chain jumps off. Normally you do this by pulling the back wheel backwards in the dropouts and tightening the wheel bolts. This bike has short/vertical dropouts so there is no way to move the wheel further backwards or forwards. An eccentric bottom bracket is a bottom bracket where the axle for the cranks isn't in the middle - if you were to rotate it, it moves the pedal position backwards and forwards, and this is what you do to put tension on the chain. Another common way is to use an eccentric rear hub where you turn the hub round and the length of the wheelbase changes.

Both aren't great solutions, in my opinion. Long or horizontal dropouts are a better solution because it's simpler, easier and needs no special or expensive parts. Have you looked at the Charge Plug or Fuji as an alternative? Both also great SS bikes around the same price.

Thank you for explaining and fast answer. Yes i know that there is alternatives, i just like the framework so much more on this bike. And also one more question, where can i find the sizing chart for this bike or maybe the one eddy merckx uses?

Jonny69":4hq547g4 said:
Ok, it's a single speed / fixed gear bike. You need to set a bit of chain tension on a SS bike or the chain jumps off. Normally you do this by pulling the back wheel backwards in the dropouts and tightening the wheel bolts. This bike has short/vertical dropouts so there is no way to move the wheel further backwards or forwards. An eccentric bottom bracket is a bottom bracket where the axle for the cranks isn't in the middle - if you were to rotate it, it moves the pedal position backwards and forwards, and this is what you do to put tension on the chain. Another common way is to use an eccentric rear hub where you turn the hub round and the length of the wheelbase changes.

Both aren't great solutions, in my opinion. Long or horizontal dropouts are a better solution because it's simpler, easier and needs no special or expensive parts. Have you looked at the Charge Plug or Fuji as an alternative? Both also great SS bikes around the same price.

So would you recommend me buying it for that price above? :D

Back