Famous Trombonist sponsor?

Excel

Retro Guru
whilst Chris Barber the trombonist is well known (and still playing!) who are the three cyclists hamming it up in this publicity pic from the late 1960's?

Attachments

• 1969 Chris Barber 2 (2).jpg
    1969 Chris Barber 2 (2).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 1969 Chris Barber 3 (2).jpg
    1969 Chris Barber 3 (2).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 972
thanks for that, I thought it was Mick Coward but wasn't sure of the other two, I gather Chris Barber was involved in sponsorship for around 10 years as he was keen on cycle racing but didn't realise he was also involved in motor bike and car racing as well....

ps: the leggy girl is definitely not Ottilie Patterson!

Spokesmann":wa8d074e said:
Looks like a Lotus Europa behind.

Are those Sun machines?

yes a 1969 Europa S2 and the bikes are from his Chris Barber Sun/Huret team, I think he became sub sponsor to Geoffrey Butler sometime later....some loose connection also is that his bassist Dick Smith was also a keen cyclist and sometime frame builder prior to his National Service at Ivor J Clark's shop in Harrow

Griff

just read the whole thing. Great.

"Chris Barber March 1969 Famous band leader and trombone player is a very keen racing motorist and friend of the very famous men in racing including Graham Hill. Chris complete with his famous trombone formed his new band each one playing a "Ghost" instrument using the car, motorcycle, bikes and component.L-R Terry Groefield uses a water hose, John Hine drums the rhythm on a crash helmet, Ron Claridge using his racing bike as a double bass, Mick Coward flutes it on a bicycle pump and Ron Pannell plays the guiter on a spare wheel."

Looks like a Lotus Europa to me as well, and you see Sun on the riders sleeves.
PS: I think the leggy girl is Anita Harris.

Keith Mernickle the CX pro rider was Chris's roadie and according to what Chris told me outside Wakefield Theatre some years ago it was Keith who 'persuaded' Chris to sponsor cycling. The Sun bikes were, I think, basically the standard Carlton/Raleigh race models in Sun livery. I always liked the Sun team jersey.

Forgot to mention that recently Mick has been living in Yorkshire, joined a local club and done a bit of time trialling. Haven't seen him for a year or two though - mainly because I haven't been racing myself.

Another edit - just noticed another Yorkshire link - Padgetts motor bikes.

Re:

Hi, Great thread, I thought I would add a few piccies, and a picture of the old Sun Team Jersey I have safely tucked away. Terry

Attachments

• chrisbarber10.png
    chrisbarber10.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 802
  • sun jersey2.jpg
    sun jersey2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 802
  • sunteam69.png
    sunteam69.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 802
Back