Which of these component compromises is least wrong?

Ajoten

Old School Hero
A Friday boredom post.

I have two dilemmas re choosing some replacement parts for my Peugeot, and wonder what the most acceptable approach is.

Given I can't date it properly I'm vaguely trying to kit it out with 1980-1985 clobber. Want as clear a conscience as possible for L'Eroica if ever get round to it.

• It has an incongruous braze on for front mech which more knowledgeable people than me suggest was added later. This means I can't match the front with my rear Simplex mech. Do I:
    • Put a Sachs Huret on coz French and a brand rarely seen these days, hence feels most similar... but means I'm really mixing up my brands (see below) and that makes me uncomfortable
    • Use a period Campag mech coz there are other Campag components on - headset and seatpost - that I want to keep because they say "Campag" on them even though they aren't legit.
    ?
  • Saddle. I don't want a tatty saddle. Should probably should be a Turbo whatever. Do I:
    • Find an old one and take the tattiness on the chin. I imagine won't be able to date it but it MIGHT be right.
    • Get a new Selle one coz official brand as well as untatty
    • Get a Charge Bucket because more affordable and uses the same mould as the original Turbo I believe, and it really doesn't matter if I don't end up getting a period one anyway
    • Use my existing tan Charge Spoon because it's FREE, and comfy, and smart, and it really really doesn't matter. And though it should be black or white, tan does have some retroness.
    ?

Dunno. Silly really.

Andrew

If you're going full period go full period. (Re saddle) if you're not, anything goes.

I always match mechs. Just my thing. Regardless of mixed build etc.

But it's your bike so up to you.

Go with whatever saddle you find comfortable.

Also consider San Marco Rolls or Regal - they look right and are still available new.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those mechs aren't for standard brazed on bracket sadly. A proprietary Simplex design I believe, where they effectively attach to a hole in the seat tube rather than a bracket.

Re:

Wow I've got one of those front mechs,didn't realise they were worth real beer token money.If thats what you want you can have mine for a lot less.pm me if you do.jm.

Re: Simplex braze-on

The front derailleur boss is for Simplex/Gipiemme derailleurs and has the same sizing as a threaded water bottle braze-on. The one on my 80s Peugeot PF 40 gave very good performance. You might want to stick to the style of derailleur shown in the earlier reply by anagrama.

Back