Wet weather jacket, recommendations

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Ok enough is enough! I've already had three soakings this week on my commute. Only 11 miles each time and on the flat, so it cuold be worse.
I've been wearing a windproof jacket over my jersey. I still get wet through it, which I can cope with as I don't get cold. But it billows, even though it's all done up at the front.
Can anyone here recommend a jacket that doesn't do that? Are clear racing capes any good? What about gilets too? Do some have mesh on the back, too? So many questions ! :oops:
I don't tend to hang around when I'm on my road bike, so I don't want something I'll overheat in.
BTW I have still been washing my rims when I get home, don't want sh-t braking, or premature wear on the rims or pads!

Any help gratefully received

Mike

Re:

Gabba.

Half the peloton (including the ones not wearing Castelli team kit) had them on for that snow-interrupted MSR a couple of seasons ago, and my LS jersey version is by a mile the best bit of cycling kit I've ever owned. You won't need so many layers (a thermal LS base layer underneath and I'm good to go down to a couple of degrees or so, no jacket required) so not as spendy as it might first appear.

I remember getting caught in a blizzard coming across Strines Moor soon after I got mine, snow settling all over me as well as the road. I stopped to shake it off once the sun came out, and I was completely dry, like it hadn't happened.

Re:

Hi Carl,

Well, I wasn't reckoning on over 100 notes! :shock:

£60, tops. I don't need a waterproof, breathable, stormproof jacket that unfolds into a two man tent. Just something that I'll not get too hot in, and I won't look like the Michelin man as I'm riding along :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Army surplus goretex. The RAF/Navy/Police stuff is also good if you don't want the camo look - but don't mind not having a hood.

If you are lucky, you'll get change from £30.

greencat":ppxblc89 said:
Army surplus goretex. The RAF/Navy/Police stuff is also good if you don't want the camo look - but don't mind not having a hood.

If you are lucky, you'll get change from £30.

Good call mate ;)

I'd imagine it's bulky though, no? Could I get it in a jersey pocket if there was a miracle and the Sun came out.
Two days, three soakings! :evil:
Today was looking good too, almost risked wearing my cycling socks, until about an hour before I left work! :roll: Then it was biblical as I rode home. Shortly after I got in, the Sun came out, albeit for a few seconds :evil:

Yep, probably is reasonably bulky - but you might be able to roll it small enough to bungy under your saddle. It will keep you dry, and keep the wind out without sweating like a pig though.

^
greencat":1gw30gcc said:
Yep, probably is reasonably bulky - but you might be able to roll it small enough to bungy under your saddle. It will keep you dry, and keep the wind out without sweating like a pig though.

....and is the obvious choice should your air support get shot down and you're caught in crossfire in the middle of a minefield or summat.

Mike, for me, it's something of a false economy to have a warmish jersey or two and maybe a £60 jacket that isn't much good, when you could just wear a comfortable close-fitting jersey/jacket that does all you need, as per the first three recommendations above. I ride all year round, and don't ever wear a winter jacket any more.

Re:

altura night vision is what I wear when I want to keep a bit drier on the commute. My bottom half still gets wet though.

Back