3 Speed Freewheel - 1/8 Inch Unknown

sam_white

Diamond Back Fan
Can anyone help to identify what this freewheel is and who it was made by? Information on it is thin on the ground. I can tell you it is for an 1/8" inch chain, it appears to fit onto a simple splined hub. The only marking I can find is 'unscrew' on the back.
The tooth count is as follows: 23-18-15

I bought this as part of a job lot many years ago, the box of jumble also contained a cyclo rear derailleur (pictured). It might be related?

It looks like one of those things to fit a Sturmey 3 speed hub and allow derailleur years. I have never seen one off a hub before.

The cogs look like Trivelox to me, generally used on tandems pre-war. The cogs slide on the hub to change gear, so keep the chain in line.
The Cyclo Benelux is one of the later ones perhaps 1960s
Keith

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
bagpuss":4ls4ncql said:
Cyclo made a 3 speed block as did Bayliss Wiley .

Interesting link here .
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/bl ... -time.html

The BW 3 speed was rather like a modern cassette just with 3 sprockets . I did have one somewhere.

Here's a cutaway drawing of the BW hub from 'The Complete Cyclist' handbook.

The sprockets appear to still be separate items screwed onto the hub body rather than a complete unit. And there are 4 of them.

Attachments

• ComCycBWUnitHub.A.jpg
    ComCycBWUnitHub.A.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 415
Re:

I used a BW unit hub with a Cyclo 5 speed, a set of cogs screwed on to a sleeve that fitted the standard hub thread.
Main problem was prone to bending the axle, as all the weight was on the centre bearing.

Keith

Back