Hagen Steel lo pro frame reborn to single speed

bartsince1975

Retro Guru
I wanted to share this one for a while and finaly found the pictures of how it looked when I got it from a Marktplaats Add. I was lucky I got it, I had placed a bid and no one else had placed a higher bid for a day or two and I decided I had to have this frame. I called the seller we made the deal. 5 minutes later a higher bid came, too late, it was mine :D It included a cheap headset and the original campa seatpost, and the ugly pumppeg made out of a nail :shock: this was the first to go off!

Original paint and decals were covered in a cheap spraypaint black, the original fork had (after a crash) been replace by a Herman Braun. It could have been a lot worse, the frame was straight did not show a lot of rust and felt stiff enough to make a good ride. This was how it looked:

So it went of to the powdercoater, I had decided a very neutral color build on this one to let the frame and it's curves speak for itself. It must be clearcoat over a sandblasted frame. It took some persuasion to get the powdercoater to actually do this, he had never done it before and was convinced it would look awful. When I picked up the finished frame I asked him again, in his workshop with a lot of shiny car rims, it had turned out better than he expected and now he could understand that someone might like it like this. I liked it a lot! :D

We could start a build:

Frame: Edward Hagen (Later Rafty was his brand) custom build Triathlon
Fork: Herman Braun

Headset: Campa Athena
Stem: Cinelli
Bars: some taiwanese bull

Seatpost: Campa Athena
Seat: Vetta

Crankset: Victory 170mm
Chainring: Campa Victory 42 (I have knees that don't like 52's anymore)
Bracket: some leftover :facepalm:

Rims: Mavic MA2
Spokes: DT revolution
Nipples: DT prolock
Hubs: Surly New Hubs
Freewheel: Shimano 16T.
Tyres: Schwalbe durano SKID
Tubes: Continental

Brake: Campa some old touring group, still looking for Athena single pivot
Brake levers: Cane creek bar end

The ride: :mrgreen:

I really had some trouble finding the wheels, the hubs were sorted pretty quick, Surly's are solid and affordable. The rims took me a lot of time to figure out, I was looking for MA@'s but couldn't find a decent set anywhere, until I spoke to my brother who happened to have two sets, NOS.

I really like how it turned out, and how the idea I had about this build, let the frame do the talking not color or branding, worked out for it. Big thanks of course to the powdercoater (good price my friend) and my brother who gave me 2 sets of MA2's for free.

Latest posts

Back