Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:54 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:40 am 

Hello Velo Fellow,

Is the size 23" centres or to top of top tube? If you are interested to to sell on the frame and save further work, please contact me.

I have just collected a beat up Helyett tourer with the nice French mudguards, Simplex touring gear and lots of rust. Will try to get the pics up here,

Billcycle.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am 

Attachment:
Helyett Durax.jpg
Helyett Durax.jpg [ 232.28 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]
Attachment:
Helyett Durax.jpg
Helyett Durax.jpg [ 232.28 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Attachments:
Helyett front.jpg
Helyett front.jpg [ 211.57 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

Post subject: Re: Helyett speciale
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:29 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Hi
Nice find ! This one has come from France originally - no question. My machine was sold by an importer in London (Helyett/Evian)
and had some English threaded bits - like the bottom bracket etc. Your machine is much earlier than mine I suspect. The frame number will, probably give you a date (mine is 59339 - that is 1959 - frame 339). By chance, I expect to collect the frame from the enameller this week. I added decals and lined out all the lugs in gold after he stove enamelled it and now he has added a clear topcoat over the whole lot.
I have all the components ready to build this one up and need to see how that goes. I most likely will sell it but it won't be cheap as it has cost me a lot to get this far and I know that there is a huge demand for the 'Anquetil' Helyett in France. I will post photos when it is done. It is a 23 inch frame.

Post subject: Blast from the Past
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:39 am 

Just found this ad from Cycling in 1959 in my papers... Influenced me at age 17.

Of course, Rousseau (a pure sprinter) was not on a Helyett H57UK, which was made for the British road market with BSF threading and UK dimensions.

Attachments:
File comment: Original to hand
Helyett Ad small1959.jpg
Helyett Ad small1959.jpg [ 274 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

Post subject: Re: Helyett speciale
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:27 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Love those Rebour drawings. Better than the real thing!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 am 
Retro Guru

torqueless wrote:
I probably don't know what I'm talking about, since a) I'm not French, and b) I was still doing toilet-training while Anquetil was winning Tours de France, but it seems to me that the Helyett star waxed and waned with Anquetil's career. I cannot think of another example of a marque which disappeared off the radar so swiftly with the retirement from involvement of the rider associated with it, although there are probably other (earlier?) examples. For that reason the green Helyett is I guess immediately and uncomplicatedly evocative of the early sixties, unlike the Merciers, Peugeots, Lejeunes, etc., which continued through the sixties and into the seventies in their trademark colours.

I"m somewhat older & had completed my potty training there was always conjecture that Anquetils Helyett was a badged jobbie built by one of the St Etienne bike company's possibly the same as he rode before becoming a star He may have had Helyetts but I have a lurking brain twang that he preferred his earlier frameset/s so it could have been an earlier or present time build with "wrong un" decals At that time period the bike companys in St Etenne were such a mish mosh unless you saw your actual frame in build it was a calculated guess