What/where does everyone do/go for their resprays?

Pionir

Retro Guru
As the topic says :)

I've got an old Raleigh Corsa frame which has gone a bit rusty in the garage and needs some tlc. I've had it since new (my first proper bike) and don't want to sell or scrap it as I'm sure it's just cosmetic, but equally I don't want to spend the earth on it.

Having had a look around I can see there's plenty of places to do really high end work but I'm after something more functional, maybe just a chemical strip and powder & lacquer coat, preferable in the London / Home Counties area.

Cheers, David

Mario at Vaz Finishes offers good value at reasonable cost.....give him a Google he's based in Hither Green SE London

Griff

Why not have a go your self? I am thinking of doing that Raleigh frame I have, I am going to get it stripped professionally then have a go myself.

Generally it's no cheaper to do it yourself compared to a powder coat. There is a thread with powdercoaters and paint finishers and people's experiences.

My local is Solent Powder Coaters in Eastleigh. They do plenty of bikes, are very reasonable value for work of good quality. They will also do decals and clearcoat.

Much of the cost is the setup of the powder sprayer - if you simply add the frame to a batch of gates etc that are in progress then it can be as low as £40 with some coaters. Try phoning a few of your locals.

Normal paint chips way more easily than powdercoat. :?
I've a couple of off-road frames that have survived 7 years of heavy use without chipping.

A wet painted finish will probably cost around £100 including preparation using a stove enamel.

Rattle can finishes will typically cost £30-50 including all materials by the time you are finished. Car paints are even softer and really don't last. Car sprayers typically struggle to get into the nooks and crannies on a frame, as they are optimised for big flat surfaces.

Re:

The trick with powdercoaters is to make sure they do plenty of bike frames. A good powdercoat will be a uniform thickness and not lose the lug details. I've seen some powdercoat where you wouldn't know the frame had lugs! I pay £40 for a flat colour, extra for metallics.

Be good to see some pics :)

Paint will clean up very well in some cases which also keeps it original.

£45 Sunbase Swindon. Powdercoat and blasting.

e87c61096f04e766a6c9d7a70e6a7162_zps5b1eacb5.jpg

Back