Advice/Recommendations about reliable rubber?

colnagolover

Retro Guru
Hi,

I am looking for a 700x25c (perhaps 27) clincher/open tubular with fairly low rolling resistance and good durability/puncture resistance for riding tours that include normal road + gravel + cobbles/pavé. The tyre should (preferably) have tan/gumwall sides but the selection that I've found is not that fantastic - I've got as far as Challenge Paris-Roubaix open tubular.

Competing with this - so far, and without the gumwall sides - is the Vittoria Open Pavé Evo CG open tubular.

Can anybody out there tell me which of these is best? And are there any other really good tyres for this type of riding that are as good as or better than these two, both with regard to rolling resistance and durability?

Any help will be more than welcome :)

Cheers
colnagolover

Anything with fairly low rolling resistance isn't likely to have particularly good durability or puncture resistance.

Something is going to have to give.

FWIW, I've used both the tyres you've listed (one as a tyre, one as a tubular and tyre) and they are both very good, grippy and fast rolling. But the rear CG will be knackered after maybe 2500-3000 miles, the challenge won't be far behind it. Both have a tendency to cut up if you live anywhere with flinty tarmac.

mattr":1pz1h5s6 said:
Anything with fairly low rolling resistance isn't likely to have particularly good durability or puncture resistance.

Something is going to have to give.

FWIW, I've used both the tyres you've listed (one as a tyre, one as a tubular and tyre) and they are both very good, grippy and fast rolling. But the rear CG will be knackered after maybe 2500-3000 miles, the challenge won't be far behind it. Both have a tendency to cut up if you live anywhere with flinty tarmac.

Perhaps I should rephrase myself...the puncture resistance is prbably more important than the durability/wear, as I loathe having to change tubes midride, be it dry or wet :cry:

Some of the riders here use Gatorskins for the rough and ready Cumbrian roads, not very retro though.....

Shaun

Midlife":282h3xub said:
Some of the riders here use Gatorskins for the rough and ready Cumbrian roads, not very retro though.....

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

I have Gator Hardshell with folding bead on my winter hack/single speed - VG tyre but, like the Gatorskin, not very retro and not that much of a looker on the dearly beloved Colnago ;)

Use some road sealant in a decent inner tube.
Them you can use the tyres you like the look of

I commute on Michelin Dynamic classics. They are definitely tough tyres because my commute is punishing with pot holes, gravel, broken glass and general unidentifiable detritus in the road. The gumwall looks good and ages quite well, i.e. it darkens down like older gumwalls used to. It's not a tubular but you have mentioned clincher.

Open tubular = clincher made from a tubular carcass.

Very light and flexible, very nice to ride.

Jonny69":cma7c65a said:
I commute on Michelin Dynamic classics. They are definitely tough tyres because my commute is punishing with pot holes, gravel, broken glass and general unidentifiable detritus in the road. The gumwall looks good and ages quite well, i.e. it darkens down like older gumwalls used to. It's not a tubular but you have mentioned clincher.

Yup - I've seen quite a few who speak well of Michelin Dynamic Classics but (1) I can't find any dealers here in Denmark who sell them and (2) I can't find any internet dealers in UK/Europe who sell the folding version.

So I might be stuck with the choice between the Challenge and the Vittoria, although I've seen a Panaracer tyre - the Pasela TG - but it looks a bit too rugged to roll well away from the gravel/pavé.

Still open to suggestions :)

Back