L'Eroica Draw

Re:

That's a bummer - I was hoping to go next year. I'm surprised that they only have about 1250 spots per category, I thought the ride typically hosted 5000 riders each year. I'm not surprised about the number of "clubs" represented in the list as their webpage says that groups have a higher chance of being selected over individuals.

Must have missed the part about clubs having a better chance than individuals. So when they say it's a draw it obviously isn't a draw in any normal sense of the word. Really crappy way of doing things.

Fortunately it's not the only one now. The Spanish one sounds interesting and at a warmer time of year! I imagine the Californian one will be really well organised but that's far too far without making a holiday out of it.

Re:

Skynet":13bcsboz said:
Must have missed the part about clubs having a better chance than individuals. So when they say it's a draw it obviously isn't a draw in any normal sense of the word. Really crappy way of doing things.

Fortunately it's not the only one now. The Spanish one sounds interesting and at a warmer time of year! I imagine the Californian one will be really well organised but that's far too far without making a holiday out of it.

The California one is closer to me, but I'd really like to ride the original. Its a big deal getting myself and my bike over there though. If I don't get a spot I'm thinking about Vintage Velo Anjou or the Retro Rond Vlarden as my alternatives. Riding in Spain might be interesting too.

Yeah the original does sound good. The only thing I didn't like was the time of year. Partly defeats the point going somewhere different then riding a chunk of it in the dark.

Last I read the Vintage Velo Anjou wasn't on this year, seems like they've sorted things out which is good.

Re:

I thought so too. I checked their webpage yesterday and it says that registration for the 2015 edition starts in April so it looks like its on. Not much detail on the webpage though. I signed up for the newsletter to keep apprised of its status.

Skynet":2tej49gq said:
http://your.eroica.it/gaiole2015/risultati-sorteggio

Was there much point in registering when ½ went to the Italians and loads of the non-Italian ones have gone to clubs. Looks unlikely it was a raffle in the way you think a raffle would be held. Won't be trying next year.

Sorry you didn't make the draw. There's still the charity number option, though, if you want to go. Compared to the total cost of joining the event the price difference is not very big. And you'll be supporting a good cause. :)

Those who have pre-registered and have not won the lottery have the priority in purchasing a CHARITY NUMBER if they have expressed the wish to do so during the pre-registration. The priority is valid until 12 April and the CHARITY NUMBER costs €100.

Re:

I didn't get the raffle this year but I've opted for the charity option, the extra £60 doesn't really change the overall cost of the event that much (drive to Bristol, car parking, flight to Pisa, train to Siena, accommodation, and then an extra 3 days after as that's the first flight back!, food, drink, drink etc etc) it's going to cost the best part of four figures, which (for me at least) is a staggeringly large amount for a one day bike ride, but for whole week of adventure I can just about justify it (to myself, not the Mrs :)

Yeah, if you can make a week, or more, of it then the extra's not a big deal and the overall cost not quite so eye watering!

Been meaning to have a read on how the California one worked out, will have to have a read tonight.

Re:

I think the cost is always going to be eye watering !! I can't recommend it enough though, brilliant ride (and my usual routes are either Exmoor or the North Devon/Cornwall coast) and a great atmosphere, which I think is really why people go, I recon I chatted to more people I don't know over that weekend than I did for the rest of the year, I'd be tempted to go even if I couldn't ride it,

Back