Late 1970's bike. What brake blocks?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm gathering parts still for my 1978 Dave Lloyd and am now getting to all the nitty gritty bits.

I have a set of early Shimano brakes and am wondering what brake blocks to fit.

I can get correct looking new blocks, but I'm unsure how effective they are, so, what are your suggestions.

Black blocks, holders with holes in if possible, wheel guides. Not orange/salmon pink and certainly not those kool stop ones held in the holders with circular cooling fins !

Shaun

Re:

Midlife":3qlm7kyn said:
Black blocks, holders with holes in if possible, wheel guides. Not orange/salmon pink and certainly not those kool stop ones held in the holders with circular cooling fins !

Shaun

Unless you want to stop. Then get the koolstop ones or their equivalents and be damned the colour.

The 1970's were a triumph of style over substance :). I rode loads of different types including leather and as long as the rims were not steel they all seemed to work the same.

Weinman 500's did seem notoriously hopeless though !!

Shaun

Re:

I've been looking at the Fibrax web site, as I have had both disk pads and V brake blocks from them in the past. They seem to have a black block in a metal holder designed for alloy rims.

I have got one pair of guides, so I'll have to find another pair.

That said, being able to actually stop is the top priority, especially if I decide to go to Derbyshire or one of the other vintage bike ride events. This is why I got the Shimano 600's, as after paying very little for a set of Weinmann 500's, I then learned of their reputation.

Weinmann's reputation was well deserved ! I never really worked out why they were so bad. I would have expected that having a small drop with the blocks close to the pivot point then they would have better mechanical advantage .... So much for science!

The 600's are much better, if you get pink blocks please colour in the visible bits with black permanent marker pen :)

Are your weinmanns in good condition?

Shaun

Midlife":296xs9t8 said:
Are your weinmanns in good condition?
I shall do my best not to get pink brake blocks.

Yes the 500's are OK, I was going to give them a thorough clean up prior to use, which was all they really need.

Do they have the metal domed nuts and red washers? I've bought a 70's Viner track frame which is going to need shallow drop brakes.

Shaun

Back