Reducing the OLN of vintage Campy hubs

Pedalitis

Old School Hero
I've just bought a pair of 27 inch wheels with Campy record hubs from the 60s or 70s. They were advertised as 120 OLN but are actually 124 or 126mm - haven't measured but the are clearly too wide for the 121mm spacing of my dropouts. Are the hub bodies the same width for 120 and 124mm OLN hubs and is it a matter of changing the spindles to reduce the OLN or is there an easier way? I can't find anything online about this - not even on Sheldon.

I'm running 126 in 120 dropouts I really wouldn't worry about it unless your frame is 753 or equivalent. 531 frames will open up easily and it won't cause a problem.

Re:

I realise I could do that, it's just a pain to force the wheel in and out each time. When the frame was restored I had the dropouts set at 121mm specifically to make it easier to get the wheel in and out.

I think it would be easier to get your local good shop to use a frame stretching tool and just open the stays out 5/6mm as the hubs you have and I'm guessing are a pig to get a new axle and spacers for.

Re:

I'd just do as your original question and reduce the OLN width if you are using a 5 speed freewheel - if using a 6 them the width needs to be 126. The difference between 126 and 120 is in the RHS spacing...... So if you want to lose say 4mm you may find there is a 4mm alloy spacer which you can remove, you can then (by adjusting the locknuts & cones on both sides) centre the axle, but ensure it isn't too wide because the quick release MUST clamp onto the dropouts (ie not an over-long axle). If the axle is too long after spacer removal, just cut the odd (say 3mm) off with a junior hacksaw and clean up with a file. If you want to adjust by small amounts, a standard (hardware shop) washer with 10mm hole is ideal at about 1.5mm thick...... so as an example, remove an original 5mm spacer, replace with a 1.5mm washer and you've reduced the width by 3.5mm. Check the rim is still central (or close enough) by trying it both ways, it is unlikely you'll have to redish the wheel with a small adjustment. I'd only (and that's my personal opinion) go the route of spreading the frame if using 6 speed or more.

Thanks for that suggestion. It's what I'm now going to do having realised there are some spacer washers that I can remove on both sides. I'm not worried about having to do some re-dishing and although I'll probably run a 6 speed set up, it's with a Suntour ultra spacing freewheel, which should fit.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

The only way to AVOID re dishing the wheel is to remove an equal amount of spacers from each side, & that might prove impossible.
So if you remove 4mm from the f/w side then the wheel will have to be re-dished.

stringfellow1946":1tf9fce8 said:
The only way to AVOID re dishing the wheel is to remove an equal amount of spacers from each side, & that might prove impossible.
So if you remove 4mm from the f/w side then the wheel will have to be re-dished.

I don't disagree with you in principal (as I'm obsessive about getting mechanicals exact), but 4mm off one side will only put the wheel 2mm off centre - which may be acceptable to the OP?

Back