New bearings needed

thebobajob

Devout Dirtbag
I have re-installed the bottom bracket from 1970 Sun Snipe but the spindle is really wobbly with a fair bit of vertical and horizontal play. Looks like I may need new bearings but there is possibility of what I have put back in is not right. The bearings that came with it are in cages but for the age they perhaps shouldn't be. I have a picture of the adjustable cup and lock ring. From this does anyone know what they should be like? And where I can get replacements?

I can take it apart again and get some images of the inside if this would be more helpful.

Cheers
Bob

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 457
You can easily convert to loose bearings, problem with aftermarket caged bearings is that a lot of places will just sell you something that's nearly right, and the wobble in the cage (the bearings aren't held tightly in most cages) will take up the mismatch in diameters.
Just need to know what size bearings they are. (Many bbs are 1/4" dunno what this one takes)

Re:

Thanks

Will dismantle tonight and take some images and measurements. Any idea what brand of BB this is?

Bob

Re: Re:

thebobajob":27luieoq said:
Thanks

Will dismantle tonight and take some images and measurements. Any idea what brand of BB this is?

Bob

Hi Bob, Its actually a TDC bottom bracket which should take 1/4" bearings as standard. Personally, I'm not a big fan of cages, you end up with less bearings. Loose bearings are cheap and you should fit as many as you can, minus 1.

Re: Re:

Robbied196":1loleecr said:
Hi Bob, Its actually a TDC bottom bracket which should take 1/4" bearings as standard. Personally, I'm not a big fan of cages, you end up with less bearings. Loose bearings are cheap and you should fit as many as you can, minus 1.

Thanks for your help. Will get some ordered so I can continue the build.

TDC bottom brackets were always a nuisance way back whe . Home mechanics used to come in and complain they couldn't get the TDC to line up at the top .... They were used to timing cars where TDC meant Top Dead Centre. :)

Putting together bottom brackets with loose balls was a regular test for aptitude in local collages.

Shaun

Really?
It's an easy job compared to rebuilding a Shimano axle......
just use the grease to fix the bearings in place.

Back