Do you know anything about Tandems?

Spibblo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Cos I don't.
I have an ATB Tandem- 26" wheels.
I am in the process of rebuilding it.
It came with RST 381 triple crown forks which are totally knackered, I want to fit some rigids.
Here's the question,
I have spare a pair of Univega 4130 Cromo double butted 1&1/8 mtb Forks, would they be suitable for a Tandem? Not planning on taking it into the wilderness- just road and easy trails.

It depends hugely on your bike's geometry. For my Dawes Kickback Two, a set of stock 410mm Kona P2s work just fine. I replaced the stock Dawes fork simply to go to Ahead. Tandems are very hard on headsets!

Generally tandems have steeper head tubes and demand more fork offset, so that the stoker scratching his leg doesn't send you into a tree; steering is very neutral. I'd try a mid-length fork at first and adjust if it feels nervous.

hamster":2ktr449d said:
It depends hugely on your bike's geometry. For my Dawes Kickback Two, a set of stock 410mm Kona P2s work just fine. I replaced the stock Dawes fork simply to go to Ahead. Tandems are very hard on headsets!

Generally tandems have steeper head tubes and demand more fork offset, so that the stoker scratching his leg doesn't send you into a tree; steering is very neutral. I'd try a mid-length fork at first and adjust if it feels nervous.

Thanks Hamster.

The RST's were 440 ac2 and the rigids I have are 406 a2c- Maybe a bit short?

The shocks would have compressed a lot, I reckon worth a try with those forks. I would worry most about too long giving too shallow a head angle.

Back