stamped geometry frame markings

Diamant_Don

Retro Guru
Hey guys,

So, I'm looking at possibly making an offer on an unmarked road frame and noticed it's got 72 and 73 degree markings stamped into the head and seat tubes.

Not seen this before - were such stamp marks common practice back in the day? Or is there some hint to a manufacturer? Long shot I know...

It's described as 531, but no decal following a less than perfect respray.

Ta!

Stamping on the lugs were common, usually they were filled in with braze and hidden. Any pics?

Shaun

Re:

Hi Mike and Shaun - thanks!

Not really expecting a high-end bike maker's name here. ;)

Parts on the bike are listed as Coronado crank, Sun Tour VX mechs, Weinnmann brake callipers, Cinelli bars, Dia Compe brake levers, Sun Tour shifters, SR SP100 pedals.

These are the markings photos (make of them what you will :cool: ):
_57-1_zpsfdb35712.jpg

_57_zps8dedc381.jpg

As you can see, the paint is… well, not done by Argos!

Here's the bike:

_57-2_zpse581ddf3.jpg

Re:

My Imholz has the angle on the seat tube lug, I thought it was a common thing to do :D

Carlton crespera lugs? I'll have a look on my PC later as this cheap TT tablet is hopeless. :)

Shaun

Carlton crespera lugs?

Sorry, I suspect it's another-stupid-question time. :facepalm:

[Stupid Question] Carlton crespera lugs would definitely indicate a Carlton build, or did Carlton provide lug/lug designs to other makers? [/Stupid Question]

I have a Crespera lugged Corsa with the headset angle stamped on it - 72 degrees.

Re:

Spokesmann, thanks!

In your esteemed opinion,is this a Carlton then?

It wasn't listed as a Carlton, but I know the 'maker' bought bikes 'in the rough' and sprayed/badged them as his own.

What era would you say? I thought mid 80s?

Back