Anyone here shellac their bar tape?

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I've bought some red cotton tape for my Bianchi. I'm toying with the idea of applying some clear varnish to it - heard its good for rainy climates like where I live. Anyone done it? Is it a good idea or better left alone?

Re:

That Spray on waterproofing stuff for coats to keep the water out?

Edit: ignore that, wadda I know about rain :D

Re:

It was fine, 5 coats and even after a couple of weeks it felt a touch sticky ( just an awareness of it not really sticky ) to start with ( a thin mixture ), it seems to wear in alright with use. Terry

Re:

I did this with both my RO Harrison and my Gillot Continental using undiluted button polish straight from the bottle; which must be 25 years old. It dried out overnight and I think it should be OK in the rain as it is soluble in meths rather than water, so as long as you don't spill your gin on it you should be OK. The red tape on the ROH darkened down to a reddish brown while the blue on the Gillot went a sort of purpley brown that goes nicely with the flam purple frame. I thought that this was preferable to the tape getting tatty and dirty as it wears but time will tell. I whipped the ends of the bars with twine as well to finish it off neatly.

There are some pics here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=294453&hilit=gillott+continental&start=10

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=291695&p=2192270&hilit=ro+harrison#p2192270

Back