Newbie; what make/model is my bike?

poltheball

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,

Complete beginner at classic bikes here, so please bear with me. I was recently handed an old race bike that was otherwise going to be skipped by a family member; my only problem is that I've no idea what it is, what it's worth, whether I should try and restore it or not...

Photos:

IMG_20140917_124046095 by poltheball, on Flickr

IMG_20140917_124300286_HDR by poltheball, on Flickr

From noseying about the bike, it's got some pretty awesome lugging at the headtube area, and the original colour was (or included) a light baby blue. It has Specialities TA cranks and pedals, Weimann type 730 brakes, Mavic Monthlery Pro rims, Campag downtube shifters and a Suntour Cyclone rear mech.

There are more pictures on my photostream here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/58370809@N05/

Complete noob question; how do I fit a rear mech on to a sliding dropout frame? And is this bike worth putting a bit of work into, or selling on to someone who could do a better job than me? Really want to strip the orange paint off, but don't want to ruin whatever is lurking beneath.

Cheers,
Paul

Those lugs look familiar but may have been used by many bike companies. I can tell you that the frame appears to be much older than the parts which are from the mid 70s to 80s. Likely a 50s (40s) path racer, as you noted with the track ends, and definitely worth restoring. You could try lacquer thinner and a soft cloth to remove the top layer of paint. Be careful not to over work any given area or the finish underneath may come off as well.

Re:

Thanks, might give the paint removal a bash. Could be hiding more clues as to what it is! Going to look for id numbers on the frame/fork, see if that throws anything up.

Should I go for the full restore myself (bike is too small for me, so wouldn't be used by me), or sell it as it is/ with some work done to the paint once I know what it is? It's pretty lightweight for a steel bike of its age, I was well impressed!

Re:

Hi, nice frame, looks like it would make a lovely period bike, probably best as a fixed wheel, looks late 40's / early 50s, those lugs are really nice, I have seen them before, my first port of call would be to have a look at it being a strudwick as they made something similar, after that it can be a real chase around , but worth it. If you want something rare, and usable keep it, you won't see another one in a hurry. Terry

Don't know why but it looks like a Claud Butler from the 50's or maybe a very early Flying Scott. I think the frame number might be the key here. Often stamped on the rear dropouts.

Shaun

Right, found a frame number. I think it says 91129, with the possibility of a capital E towards the right of the bb shell, although that may just be scrapes. There is an X with possibly a Y underneath it on the bottom of the downtube.

IMG_20140918_170546191 by poltheball, on Flickr

Does that give anyone any further clues as to what it might be?

Wonder if it's a very old BSA Tour of Britain, I seem to think they had lugs and a track fork crown like that..........

Shaun

Re:

Have a look at the thread below and the link for Classic Cycle US ( scroll down for the 6 day track bikes )

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=278351&start=30

http://classiccycleus.com/home/repair/bikes/

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... nents.html (Scroll down to fork crowns.)

A very vague and quick stab, 1930-40 6 day track bike that has been drilled for brakes later on or a path racer which was already drilled for brakes with either Chater Lea or BSA Lugs. Nice machine and check out the chrome ones too in the links for a super spot of lush.

But I'm saying maybe a fixed gear path racer as it's got a curved rear brake bridge.

It's a nice looking frame and a good bit of cycling history.

Back