Help with identifying my bike

cybernck

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out who's the manufacturer of this bike. It has obviously been resprayed in the past, so the only original markings on the frame are engraved "AHRER" and "COLUMBUS" names. I believe it has had chromed rear fork to begin with as well. It also has internal rear brake cable routing.

The bike sports full Dura Ace 7400 groupset, so I'm guessing it would have been something pretty high end back in the day.

duraacebike01c.jpg

duraacebike02c.jpg

duraacebike03c.jpg

Funnily enough, there's someone else on the web with exactly the same issue, but they haven't been able to figure it out either - http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... frame.html

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

I got it: it's an Ahrer!

The mystery frame issue can be very frustrating, I had one that was so beautifully executed that I was sure I would be able to find a clue somewhere online, but after two years I sold it as "unknown maker"

Columbus did make a handful of frames each year to showcase their tubesets but these usually had the flying dove cutouts in the lugs and bottom bracket shell.

Prior to purchasing it, I thought it was a Dura Ace demo bike of some sort, like they do now-days, but on closer inspection I figured out it had been resprayed.

Back