Another frame what is it? 1970s Holdsworth? Mercian? Denton?

Hillwalker

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well I landed this frame from eBay this week. Some of you may have seen the listing. Should have bought it last week when it failed to sell at the opening bid :!: . Never mind, I reasoned that anyone prepared to have Argos respray this in a rather complex scheme must have thought the frame was worth it, given the expenditure involved in doing so.

I think the frame details point to a 1970s frame

Here's the details:

Front and rear Campagnolo dropouts
Nutted brake mountings
Takes 27" wheels with fairly tight clearances (couple of centimetres clearance)
Nicely thinned Prugnat(?) lugs
Takes 27.2 seatpost so fairly sure it is 531 (frame is also nice and light)
The 531 decal is under the varnish :D so applied by Argos (presumably they wouldn't do this unless they were happy the tubing decal is appropriate?)
Serial on BB is 332875; also has a separate 33 marked on BB edge at 90 degrees to serial number wish is stamped across the BB underside
No evidence of drilling for headbadge - might this point to Mercian?

Looking online it seems that the serial no might fit the Holdsworth pattern?

I would welcome views, comments and suggestions.

HW

Attachments

• BB shell resized.jpg
    BB shell resized.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 758
  • Frame right resized.jpg
    Frame right resized.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 758
  • Front left quarter resized.jpg
    Front left quarter resized.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 758
  • Headtube lugs resized.jpg
    Headtube lugs resized.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 758
  • Headtube resized.jpg
    Headtube resized.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 758
  • Seat cluster resized.jpg
    Seat cluster resized.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 758
Re: Another frame what is it? 1970s Holdsworth? Mercian?

Stays look too thick and the fork rake to near the ends of the forks to be a Mercian, not sure about a Holdsworth. They often had wrapover stays for their bikes with no mudguard eyes and then there are the pump pegs.

Looks sort of Carlton ish but there again not really Carlton-ish. Rear end does not look right for Harry Quinn, Bob Jackson, Ellis briggs, Woodrup or MKM.

Is there a makers name on the front mech cable guide on the bottom bracket?

Shaun

Midlife":3kmit7yf said:
Is there a makers name on the front mech cable guide on the bottom bracket?

Shaun

Hi Shaun

Thanks for your thoughts.

I looked at the front mech guide when the frame arrived. There is something there, but unfortunately the paint at that point is a little thickly applied so I can't make it out.

The chunky seat stays sent me down the Mercian route as they look very like the stays on my 1980s Denton (which may be Mercian built). They also led me to the Holdsworth idea too, but I'm not convinced.

HW

The '75' in the number could be the year. Those very chunky rear stays were becoming fashionable in the late 70's, I had them on a Dave Russell I had from around that period.

Not sure about Holdsworth either, but I am not an expert. My Holdsworth Mistral seat stays, albeit as chunky, do wrap around a bit:

13997995025_bd37f263a4_b_d.jpg

anidel":3k8ebnrz said:
Not sure about Holdsworth either, but I am not an expert. My Holdsworth Mistral seat stays, albeit as chunky, do wrap around a bit:

13997995025_bd37f263a4_b_d.jpg

Thanks for that shot; very helpful in terms of eliminating possibilities. Can I ask if your frame's serial no is a 6 figure job like mine or not?

HW

Thanks to all who have posted to help so far. No luck yet (but the search is challenging and enjoyable). I emailed Argos asking them; they replied but they don't keep records. Never mind.

Onwards!

HW

I remembered I had a picture of the serial: U59218

Latest posts

Back