Chas Roberts Impulse buy

blackenedcrisp

Retro Newbie
I bought this...... on a bit of a whim. I logged into ebay one night, saw this and won it within minutes of bidding on it. I've wanted a Chas Roberts for a while so took the chance.

What do you think?

Found what I think is a serial number on the stem, not sure of what it means. It has "387" then a large space then "101"

Apparently its an ex-Tony Doyle but don't know. It has a racing number peg on the frame - is this a standard fitment?

Bars are in good condition

Really nice indeed.

Good price at £280 I'd say as well.

Is it really only a 56cm frame? Looks bigger to my untrained eyes.

Re:

nice!
wasn't Tony doyle a big fella. Would expect a 60cm+ frame. Could be wrong though - or did he give his name to a line of Roberts name like Malc Elliott did for M&B Cycles (later Vernon Barker)?

Re:

Havn't measured it it yet, but it fits me quite well and I normally ride a 56cm frame. Will have a proper look tomorrow when I get home.

Could have a high bottom bracket thus the resulting look that its bigger than a 56cm frame, You never won a race by free-wheeling you know so many pro frames had an high BB shell so you could pedal that bit more around bends.

Braze on race number is not a standard item so the frame could well have been made to 'race standards'

Re: Re:

pigman":38as8gws said:
nice!
wasn't Tony doyle a big fella. Would expect a 60cm+ frame. Could be wrong though - or did he give his name to a line of Roberts name like Malc Elliott did for M&B Cycles (later Vernon Barker)?

Yes Tony Doyle was/is 6'1". The bloke I bought it off was 6'2".

Re:

I'm 6'1" and ride a 56, so it's quite likely it is the genuine item.

Is there no number on the BB shell? That's where they usually are on a Roberts, and the first two numbers usually show which year the frame was made.

You can always call Roberts; talk to Brian and give him the numbers you have and he may be able to tell you a little about the frame.

Regardless, for the money, you got an excellent bike.

coomber":dq6z8qc6 said:
Really nice indeed.

Good price at £280 I'd say as well.

Is it really only a 56cm frame? Looks bigger to my untrained eyes.

Your eyes aren't that untrained; just measured it and it is a 58cm seat tube (centre to centre) and 58 cm top tube (centre to centre). A little bit gutted because the advert said it was 56cm but still did well with the price.

I'm 6' so its not too bad.

Re: Re:

NeilM":3iuwnn9y said:
I'm 6'1" and ride a 56, so it's quite likely it is the genuine item.

Is there no number on the BB shell? That's where they usually are on a Roberts, and the first two numbers usually show which year the frame was made.

You can always call Roberts; talk to Brian and give him the numbers you have and he may be able to tell you a little about the frame.

Regardless, for the money, you got an excellent bike.

It has a Cinelli "spoiler" and I can see some indentations to the left of it (chain side) but difficult to see due to the paint.

Re:

Ahh yes, the disadvantages of generous powder coating.

Still a blummin nice bike though.

Back