BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all ,

Just saw this on youtube , and thought I'd share ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5z2bp3AVA

The older the bike , the nicer it looked IMO . Can't understand why Museeuw would have ridden Roubaix with his spokes soldered , surely that would have made the wheel stiffer . Not what you want in that race is it ?

Thoughts please ,

Mike

Well I'd suspect having the spokes tied & soldered would have made the wheel much stronger and less likely to flex and buckle.

Re:

Surely it would make it much harsher on yer arsher though eh pal ?

It would have stopped a broken spoke flapping about and possibly getting caught in the frame or rear mech, which is more important than any additional stiffness it might provide. Tyres and their pressure have a greater effect on ride quality than the wheel does anyway.

Re:

Of course , the lower tyre pressures would have negated the stiffness .
Do you think that was the real Roubaix mud on Ballerinis bike ? Seems a bit far fetched , despite the race number on it

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":dlvdu5aj said:
Do you think that was the real Roubaix mud on Ballerinis bike ? Seems a bit far fetched,
Well I went through my really old cycle clothing and spotted some old shorts which I'd not worn
since the 80's and looked at the chamios and noted the skid mark and a bit of blood :shock:

So you never know the mud could be original :facepalm: :LOL: :roll:

TMI.. I know :?

Re:

:facepalm: :roll:

Guess it depends on how precious a Roubaix winning bike is to the team/Colnago . Hard to believe they wouldn't have just cleaned it and carried on using it for the rest of the season .

Either way , can I buy it mister ?

How fast does it go ? Don't you just hate it when people ask that ? :roll:

Mike

foz":11ayg4fl said:
It would have stopped a broken spoke flapping about and possibly getting caught in the frame or rear mech, which is more important than any additional stiffness it might provide. Tyres and their pressure have a greater effect on ride quality than the wheel does anyway.
You reckon?
Even with 2" mtb tyres a well built wheel is noticeable on a rigid fork.
With a road tyre the optimal pressure is within a narrow range making the wheel build even more crucial. The tyre either rolls well or pinch flats, rolls off,etc...

Back