Shimano 600 downtube shifter

Dare

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,
I have this problem with left Shimano 600 downtube shifter; when I shift from big chainring to smaller one (relesing tension on cable) it can go whole 360 degrees so the cable is very lose. I recently disassembled bike for painting and when I put it all together this started happening.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Darko

Sounds like you haven't put it together properly. If the right hand shifter is ok, make sure the parts on the left shifter are assembled correctly by comparing to the right.

Re:

If I remember rightly, on my Shimano 600 Arabesque shifters the stops (which are designed to stop the levers rotating 360 degrees) are built into the levers themselves rather than a physical stop as in most other designs. In fact when I converted my levers from band-on to braze-on I had to mill out the built in stops to allow correct fitting on braze-ons....

So, as DrDolittle suggests, I would look at how you have assembled the left hand lever to make sure you have all the washers, etc in the right order as this can make a difference.

Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,303
My shimano 600 shifters are of newer generation but I believe instalation is the same.

The thing is, there is no other way of instaling these shifters but the way I did it. Nothing broke during disassembly nor during assembly, now as time passes by I could swear this is the way they are supposed to work...

4544189707_d348b065c4_z.jpg

do you mean the shifters can go further down than the above?.........they should stop parallel to the frame as above.

Shaun

so right now I positioned the silver "thing" that comes between shifter and frame so that stopper on it is pointing top, and in picture you can se position of shifters when pushing them towards front wheel (smallest cog and smallest chainring)

Looks like you've got it right now. The silver concave washer needs to go on the right way round, otherwise the lever has nothing to stop against.

Re:

Hi there - did you ever manage to figure this out ?
I am having same issue with left hand/front shifter, where the stop seems to be preventing the lever from coming too far back, but it can then be pushed down beyond the downtube..........
Doesn't seem right, but this is how it came, supplied as NOS.

Anybody have any experience with these things ?

Thanks.

Well as far as I can tell by now it is how it is supposed to do as it did shift properly. I have switched to 600 STIs and I am not going back ;)

Back