Assos Perforated Saddle

manchesthair

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could shed on light on this...

Found a saddle in my garage recently, I 'borrowed' it from my dad years ago when I lived at home. Recently searching eBay I came across this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291098558756? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Can anyone explain why the hell this saddle is so expensive now, it looks pretty cool but doesn't really look anything special or feel particularly light weight?

Here are some images -

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

Thank you

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Well,that's an example of crazy eBay prices, like the dura ace bars on there somewhere for 900 usd or something (on sale though :/). Nobody is ever going to pay that, so I'm not sure what the point is.

Those perforated saddles for cyclocross are pretty cool and rare though, a few brands like Arius, Assos and Sofatti made them, you can read up on their (ill conceived) logic here:
http://progettopistavintage.blogspot.nl ... chive.html

I made an old school version myself inspired by the blog post for my Gazelle cyclocross here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=290398

If you'd like to sell the saddle at a (lot) more sane price I'd certainly be interested In it for my bike by the way.

It's the 'Assos' name. Like their clothing, it carries a premium.

Don't really know why. I'll bet the saddle was made by someone else and just branded.

Re: Re:

ata":2tischay said:
Well,that's an example of crazy eBay prices, like the dura ace bars on there somewhere for 900 usd or something (on sale though :/). Nobody is ever going to pay that.
Ebay is a mad world but there are nutters out there and I've seen two sets of DA-AX bars sell for £280 & £480! Bless these nutters :facepalm:

Ian Raleigh":32c4stck said:
ata":32c4stck said:
Well,that's an example of crazy eBay prices, like the dura ace bars on there somewhere for 900 usd or something (on sale though :/). Nobody is ever going to pay that.
Ebay is a mad world but there are nutters out there and I've seen two sets of DA-AX bars sell for £280 & £480! Bless these nutters :facepalm:

If people want to pay silly money for stuff that is fine with me ... a bit of careful buying & selling goes a long way towards funding my vintage projects ... I quite enjoy the process ...

Ian Raleigh":2e9hsfkh said:

Really? I´m sitting on (or rather holding on to) a small fortune then. Can´t believe someone would actually do this, paying a bit more to get a desirable item I can understand, but these prices are just silly.

Prices are mad on some components on ebay...

I have recently seen a 1970s Wrights W3N saddle with a £100 starting price, nice condition but a ton?

At the end of the day sellers have latched onto the fact the retro rebuilds are becoming quite lucrative indeed. £35 for a pair of Gran Sport pedal bearing caps? c'mon....

With regard to the Assos saddle, there is a certain cachet appeal of the brand, but I see absolutely no redeeming features in that saddle at all.

ata":23paaq4e said:
Well,that's an example of crazy eBay prices, like the dura ace bars on there somewhere for 900 usd or something (on sale though :/). Nobody is ever going to pay that, so I'm not sure what the point is.

Those perforated saddles for cyclocross are pretty cool and rare though, a few brands like Arius, Assos and Sofatti made them, you can read up on their (ill conceived) logic here:
http://progettopistavintage.blogspot.nl ... chive.html

I made an old school version myself inspired by the blog post for my Gazelle cyclocross here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=290398

If you'd like to sell the saddle at a (lot) more sane price I'd certainly be interested In it for my bike by the way.

Thanks for the information, it looks like there are a few loons who are willing to pay those prices so people are cashing in......

Not looking at selling at the moment, it looks good on a modern build, just its a bit heavy.

Hope this thread helps others in future wanting to know a bit more.

Cheers

Back