what type of road bike is best ?

Re:

That's a how long is a piece of string type question, rather like, what's the best car for £500?

For that budget you can get a new bike, but your money will get you a lot more second hand. It all depends on what you want the bike for, how often you are going to ride it, and how far.

In very general terms, I'd look in the classifieds here, one ebay, gumtree, any cycle recyling charities that you may have in your area and all the usual places. You should be able to find something to suit in a decent tubeset like Reynolds 531.

I'm sure others here will have some sensible suggestions; good luck with your search.

I'd echo NeilM's comments generally. Not much use buying new for £150 when there's plenty of well maintained retro roadies out there that can be picked up for the same price and have much better components. A 531 tubed bike with a decent groupset etc would do the trick, plus you maybe could look at overlooked bike brands such as Diamant. Lovely example with full campag groupset on eBay right now for £200...

Remember, if you really get into this, your £150 is just the first of many £150s and more!

Good luck!

one with wheels
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Search on eBay for a vintage type Carlton, Dawes, Raleigh, Peugeot etc. (70's–80's) - you might find some of these with Reynolds 531 frames, maybe not, but for £150 you're just after something that looks tidy and is road-worthy. These were all good decent bikes in their day, and consequently will still do the same job today if they're in good nick. Don't waste your time looking for anything 'new' for £150, it will be total rubbish. If you find anything for auction, post a link to it back here, and you'll get plenty of advice as to whether it's worth bidding for.

Sounding like a broken record but avoid a new bike at this price point! I've just had a quick look on eBay for 'vintage road bikes' and there are so many great bikes available (makes me want to to do another refurb!). I did a 1987 Raleigh last year and it's clearly not a carbon race machine but it easily holds its own in the company I cycle with, and managed a 300 mile+ touring holiday around the TDF last summer as well. It generates great conversation with other cyclists when stopping at a coffee shop. Steel frames were built to last and everything else is upgradable as and when you see fit.

If you get yourself some nice old vintage, don't worry about any of that, just some flat pedals with a pair of trainers, then upgrade when you happy with what you've got. The list and divergence of upgrades, newer models, improvements and suchlike is endless and expensive and best done when you've got some miles under you belt with a basic bike under your arse.

Back