Aluminum frames: the brown furniture of Cycling?

Grease Monkey

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My mate has been trying to shift a five year old Kona Zing Supreme since June. It had a carbon tail and forks, but no one will go near it because it's half aluminium!

Ultegra 10 group, Kysrium elites, he tried selling it for 600. The best offer he's had is 300! Has the rattle can for the death of aluminium finally gone done?

It seems you're a 'poor man' now if you go out in a bunch nowadays and you're not riding carbon. I've recently sold all my carbon and am awaiting a 1000gr stainless steel ride in the spring.

All hail the steel!

Ive got an aluminium and carbon Basso :) The problem with selling it would be that Basso made thousands of them and resale value would be pants because of nil exclusivity.
Shaun

most my bikes are alloy, even have a 10yr or so old jump bike ive not tryed, carbon seems wrong as a mtb frame to me, as somone told me cloth an super glue lol

I do think that stainless steel or titanium must be the best material for frames , as they won't rot . Carbon rarely looks nice IMO unless it's an early Colnago C40 or something similar . So I think you're heading in the right direction even if your mate isn't ;)

I hope that in twelve months from now all the hipster roadies will be going 'Oh carbon man, that's so 2013...' Only takes one good sub 1000gr stainless steel frame (twice the tensile strength of titanium or aluminium) to hit critical mass and carbon is on its arse.

like the man said - who wants to ride a knitted bike, glued together by unskilled cheap labour. .?

I got a new job, where all I do all day is building bikes up (yes I´m quite happy with it) At the moment it´s mostly Specialized Venge S works and Tarmac S works frames that I build up, and man I Hate! Carbon frames. I was not a fan before hand, but now I will never buy a carbon frame, the tolerances are crap, the build in races for headsets are a laugh. No give me a Titanium frame or a quality Steel frame any day.

And who wants a Carbon bike that weighs 6. something kg. when you can have an Everti Falcon that weighs 5.17 kg.

Back