Giant TCR seatpost shim - what for and how? 30.8 - 27.2mm

west green

Old School Hero
Hi - just realised my new old frame had one of these inserted in the seatpost,
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-pa/pa ... 332/26213/

Anyone know why they are necessary and should it be inserted fully into the frame or should there be a centimeter (approx) showing for the seat clamp to attach to? Finally can anyone confirm what size seatpost clamp I should use with a 27.2 seatpost? It's a a 98 Giant TCR Compact Aluminium frame. So far I've tried 28.6 (too small) 30.6 (fits but stops me inserting seatpost into shim), and 31.8 (fits nicely but won't torq down tight enough to stop seatpost slipping even when seatpost is inserted in shim). All the research indicates it should be 31.8 but mine isn't working - uinless it's just taht its an NOS seatclamp and maybe I need a new one which has a lip to rest on seatpost frame? Any advice appreciated

Thanks WG

Re: Giant TCR seatpost shim - what for and how? 30.8 - 27.2m

west green":34pllzdl said:
Hi - just realised my new old frame had one of these inserted in the seatpost,
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-pa/pa ... 332/26213/

Anyone know why they are necessary and should it be inserted fully into the frame or should there be a centimeter (approx) showing for the seat clamp to attach to? Finally can anyone confirm what size seatpost clamp I should use with a 27.2 seatpost? It's a a 98 Giant TCR Compact Aluminium frame. So far I've tried 28.6 (too small) 30.6 (fits but stops me inserting seatpost into shim), and 31.8 (fits nicely but won't torq down tight enough to stop seatpost slipping even when seatpost is inserted in shim). All the research indicates it should be 31.8 but mine isn't working - uinless it's just taht its an NOS seatclamp and maybe I need a new one which has a lip to rest on seatpost frame? Any advice appreciated

Thanks WG

The lip should fit nice & flush against the top of the seat tube. They tend to be for funny seat post diameters which most post makers don't cover, or if you want to use an under-sized post with a seat tube too big for it without forking out for a brand new post (I had a 25mm dia. USE post from a Look frame in a standard 27.2mm steel road frame for a while).

David

Back