Alan Super Record frame question

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi...need some advice....I have seen one of the above in my size.

I once rode Vitus 979 and had all the problems with whippy frame syndrome.

I am 12 stone.....the frame is true....no dings etc...joints are solid

Any opinions on the Alan Super Record frame?....I will use it as a geared bike.

Am I too heavy? What riding characteristics should I expect....always wanted an Alan....but before I press the button and buy....just would like some feedback and assistance or not from those who have used one of these frames.....is it like Marmite....love them or hate them?.....Any relevant opinions on the ASR would be helpful to me....thanks in advance.

Personally, I think the Vitus 979 didn't deserve some of the criticism it got. I had one with no ride issues and never had any joint problems. Maybe its down to riding style but I didn't encounter the whippy frame syndrome. I am, or was :) around the 12 stone mark. However, although they have a very similar build style with glued lugs Alan don't seem to have the same bad press and they look to be a beautiful frame.

I also owned a 979 back in the late 80s and never had any problem with the frame, maybe the glued joints dry out over the years. My Alan Super Record gives a better ride than the Vitus, not as harsh on poor surfaces and is a pleasure to take out on a sunny day. Personally I think the Alan is a nicer looking frame than the Vitus, the alloy lugs/joints etc. are better finished IMO. At 12 stone you will be fine, press the BIN button and enjoy

Cheers lads.....many many many moons ago....I used to go on a pilgrimage to the Holdsworth shop in Putney....when they made their own frames....were the UK sole importer of Campagnolo and Alan frames.....I soooooo wanted one......so think I will.

Has the headset go to be Italian threading?.....BB is I know......cheers......Leon

Thread angle on Italian steerers is different to british ........... but they still fit :)

Super Record allegedly had a stiffer rear end compared to the original Alan with the bolt holding the seat stays, the Super Record has a beefed up seat lug with the stays bonded into the lug IIRC.

Shaun

47p2":2c0trwxl said:
BB is English on my Alan

Some are English....some French.....some are Italian.....not sure as to the one I might be buying!.......not a deal breaker.....obviously Eng thread is better....no need to get a new BB!

Based on my own unfortunate experience, be sure to check the
headtube for cracks, especially if the headset has been changed (look for cracks that run vertically up or down from the headset cups/races).

It seems that aluminium is more vulnerable to cracks if a headset is
badly fitted.

Good luck,

Johnny

Whilst you're looking at the headset, be sure to also check the firmness of the steerer in the fork crown. That's where mine went.

I loved the ride of mine.

Back