1st Gen Shamals with 9s Freehub, what goes??

Cooker

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all, I recently acquired 2 sets of 1st gen 8s Shamals and they both have 9s freehubs fitted.
I pulled one apart and it turns out it is a Campag Record 9s Titanium Freehub (engraved on the Freehub).
When I googled converting 8s Shamals to 9s I found all sorts of weird confusing stuff people were saying.
What i want to know is, to convert from 8 to 9, is it just as easy as changing to a 9s Freehub? Or were my axles swapped out etc?

Is there anything I should look at on my 2 converted Shamal sets to see if they were done properly?

1 seems to operating all ok, the other isn't as smooth as I would like, despite fitting NOS original balls and all the cones etc look ok.

Cheers

I swapped mine from 8 to 9 - was a 10minute job. Swapping back should be as easy.
Drop the wheel, remove cassette, take big (10MM?) alan key to centre bolt, loosen, catch the pawls and springs carefully as the freehub body comes off (they can travel a looong way), slot 8 speed freehub in, checking pawls are correctly sprung and engaged, tighten up, reassemble. Job done.

If you need an 8 speed freehub, I have the one I removed safely in a box somewhere - if I can find it I'd happily swap.

Freehubs a ridiculously expensive - I ultimately bought a set of 9spd hubs cheaper than I could get a freehub on its own, then simply did the swap.

Thanks for that!
I will keep the 9s Freehub and just use 8s spacers with a Veloce 9 cassette.
Cheers

Back