Possibly dumb spoke/nipple query.

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have this aero, tubular wheel with bladed spokes which I've decided to sell but before doing so want to satisfy myself that it's been laced properly.

It does not have the standard nipples that extend out beyond the rim but, instead, has small nuts and washers as in the pics.

Is this unusual or unsafe? It runs very true. As you can tell I've no experience with aero wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_2539.JPG
    IMG_2539.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2537.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 333
I know expert on aero wheels but that doesn't look right to me. Some aero's come with screw in inserts which are fitted before lacing, I could be wrong but they seem to be missing.
Hopefully an aero expert will be along shortly :)

I agree that it just doesn't look right as it is and wouldn't want to sell it unless I knew everything was OK.

Are the little nuts on the spokes instead of nipples OK?

Looks like the builder has used nipples designed for a rim with concealed nipples.
But used them on a stock eyelet free rim.

Hence the huge clearances round the spokes, should be a nipple poking out of there!

It'll probably run Ok until it hits a pothole or something (some impact big enough to almost unload a spoke) then it'll end up all over the place very quickly!

Not sure if it is clear from the pictures but the rim has 3 radial surfaces. The outer, where the tubular tyre fits, a middle layer where the spokes are attached, and the inner edge of the rim itself, where there is just a hole for the spoke to fit through.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing, but, as I said, I know nothing about this type of rim.

How big are the holes in the middle layer?
And does anything on the spoke/nut/washer actually locate into it?

If there is loads of clearance (a nipple sized hole) and nothing locating into the hole (as a nipple would into an eyeletted rim) then what i said before still applies. The spoke is being held in place by the load, and could move.

If something is locating, you should be ok.

Thanks for the replies. I think the lacing is fine. It uses hex headed spoke nipples that do extend beyond the middle layer of the rim, but not through the inner circumference of the rim.

Back