B.S.A Twenty folder question

Yellow_Peril

Old School Hero
Hi folks

I am umming and arring about buying a locally offered BSAtwenty folder.

Is there any chance that this may have 68mm BSC standard Headset and BB threads, or did Raleigh get their claws in to even the earliest BSA rebadged bikes?

Cheers
Jon

I should add that I asked the seller what width bottom bracket shell it took, to which they replied '70mm' which stumped me as I thought Raleigh 20's were 76mm?!

I seem to remember a BSA 20 shopping bike pre raleigh. A good indicator is the raleigh octagonal headset, which will prove raleigh threads all round.
Keith

Thanks Keith, fingers crossed all-round then!

Just got a pic- the frame is the U-shaped one and not the 'H' frame one, so that makes it a mid 80's one I believe. Oh well, I'll leave it I think.

I think these newer frames were imports rather than Nottingham builds. You might find standard threading rather than Raleigh.

Yellow_Peril":2upg4ldb said:
The Dawes Kingpin seems less faff, so will lookout for one of those instead I think!
The Kingpin is an amazing bike, you really won't be disappointed with your choice.

...Except the wheels which really aren't the 'standard size' 20" ones, but 500A size. Oh and the cottle pins are really soft, so if you have any problems removing them you're in good company. But other than that the machines a classic :D

Good tip! I have a cotter press so no worries on that front. Having renovated a Raleigh Lenton and a couple of other oldies that and the Raleigh BB tool are the 2 best tools in my collection!

Thanks again mate!

wurzelmike":4hw46bmm said:
Yellow_Peril":4hw46bmm said:
The Dawes Kingpin seems less faff, so will lookout for one of those instead I think!
The Kingpin is an amazing bike, you really won't be disappointed with your choice.

...Except the wheels which really aren't the 'standard size' 20" ones, but 500A size. Oh and the cottle pins are really soft, so if you have any problems removing them you're in good company. But other than that the machines a classic :D

...Except the wheels which really aren't the 'standard size' 20" ones, but 500A size.

Yes that's right. 500A is 440 in modern dimensions - most 20 inch wheels are 406 these days. Tyres and tubes are readily available in 440 and you'd find spokes but I reckon new rims might be a lot harder to come by. Steer clear of rusty chromed rims I'd suggest.

Back