Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Hi tried Sheldon but no joy.

What's the order? Looking at 105 numbering and dura ace, ultegra etc.

Thanks

I will give this a go -

Sora
Tiagra
Dura Ace

I have seen a list somewhere - if i find it i will post the link.

Richard

OOOOOOO

The list would differ with older group sets too -

there is 600EX, 600 Ultegra (Tri-colour) and possbily 600. I have tri-colour dual pivots on my Van Tuyl and they are excellent.

Generally DA will be the best.

Oh and there is also the DA AX and 600AX too - aero stuff from the early 80's but not dual pivot - parapull. If you want these, expect to pay a fortune for brake hoods - i am speaking from experience there!!! LOL

Richard

:facepalm: Do i have to get levers or will my old Galli ones suffice or is it like cantis and Vs?

Shimano had a number of groups over the years that either were short lived or were lower end but Richard has it mostly right other than he left Ultegra/600 out of the initial list. Additionally, like the MTB parts, there is a number assigned to each group and a letter code for each part in the group. For instance RD-6500 is a 9-speed Ultegra rear derailleur. The first number changes to reflect a jump in the group protocol: 5000 is 105; 6000 is Ultegra/600; 7000 is Dura-Ace. As the groups progressed through the years the second number changed to reflect the product's development: 6400, 8-speed Ultegra; 6500 9 speed Ultegra; 6600 10 speed Ultegra. There were exceptions but this will work as a guide line.

:facepalm: but they still retro fit on anything else like the basso using existing levers?

Yes!
There are also some non-series parts like the deeper drop callipers. Groupsets are mainly marketing sprinkled with small component engineering changes.

Back