Greatest Cycle Mechanics

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Every so often threads about the greatest cyclists ever come up, but what about mechanics? Who would you class as a legendary mechanic, and why?

Harry Hall springs to mind, but mainly because of his role in the tragic Tom Simpson story.

Then there are people like Ernesto Colnago, but would they be classed as bike builders rather than mechanics?

Johnny

BITD and I'm talking about the 70's bikes were so unsphisticated that any fifteen year old could master the art if shown what to do....

The trick was what to do if things went wrong, Keithglos has posted on what to do about stuck crank arms with knackered threads and thats when you had to learn from the old timers :)

Modern day Shimano Di stuff might take a bit more practice :)

Shaun

Midlife":3nevk8y9 said:
BITD and I'm talking about the 70's bikes were so unsphisticated that any fifteen year old could master the art if shown what to do....

Even as late as the 90s, as a 15 year old my Dad taught me a heck of a lot about bike maintenance. The boot's on the other foot now though - once Ergopower levers came along it was me showing him how to set them up!

David

When I lived in Totnes, South Devon, there was an almost totally blind mechanic who worked in the local bike shop. His wheels were the best I have ever ridden.

I will be passing on build tips to my ten year old sone if I can prise his fingers from the Xbox controller for a few minutes.

Back