7400 sti question

riddim-track

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Is it possible to easily lock the gear shift mechanism in a 7400 sti lever? I ask because I only run a single chainring on my hack bike so only use the right hand to shift, the left is just there as an expensive heavy brake lever. I find without the tension from a gear cable the lever is quite loose from accidental sideways action, I think that all makes sense :?:

Yes it makes sense. I don't know if there is anything that you can tighten but I know that some fixie people use a cable cut off as it exits the lever then secure it with a nut and bolt. Bit unsightly though. You may be able to use an old spoke if you have a thin enough gauge....

mmm... an old spoke, might just try that, got just a few knocking around (as if they'll ever get used for anything else), I assume the idea is just to stick it straight through the cable retaining bit (whatever it's called)?

When I used a pair of brake levers for symmetry and to hold, on a bike with a fixed wheel and thus one brake I used a short length of cable from the "fake"lever, around the bar twice then looped back on itself. That stayed dead tight especially with a bit of sticky tape then bar tape

mattsccm":2ur4iizn said:
When I used a pair of brake levers for symmetry and to hold, on a bike with a fixed wheel and thus one brake I used a short length of cable from the "fake"lever, around the bar twice then looped back on itself. That stayed dead tight especially with a bit of sticky tape then bar tape

Yeah I can see your point but I need to use the rear brake still just not shift gears. The 7400 sti has the gear cable sprouting out of the side of the lever so the cable would look a bit funny using that trick, cheers though. :)

Latest posts

Back