Peugeot performance 1000?

zhang

Old School Hero
Hey guys, there's a old peugeot bike for sale near me and it looks a bit like this

HPIM1682.jpg

Looks like it's from the 90s with generic peugeot tubing too with no lugs. Anyone know anything about these bikes? Would it make a good single speed conversion?

Thanks!

It looks like the rear drop outs are either very short or vertical/diagonal.

That makes it difficult to convert to single speed because you can't adjust
the chain tension by moving the hub in the drop outs.

While there are other ways to deal with chain tension, they are a bit fiddly.

I'd look for an older 1970s or 1980s frame for simple single speed conversion.

Good luck,

Johnny

On the contrary I'd say it looks like a fairly simple conversion. I agree it does have reasonably short drop outs but it is still achievable although you may have to add a 'half link'.

The chainset has detachable rings so just need so single speed bolts for that or some decent m10 washers.

If the rear wheel is a cassette rather than screw on freewheel then you you'll just need a single speed kit and you'll be away.

If its a decent price (no more than £100 but ideally more like £70-£80 imo) and it fits then I would.

Thanks for the info, guys. What about the frame materials? I read a lot about lugged frames being better - what's wrong with a lugless frame? Also, would I be better off finding a bike with nicer lightweight tubing?

Lugs are probably marginally stronger I wouldn't like to say really.

You're always better of finding the best framed bike you can. The difference between a half decent 531 frame for example and this would be quite considerable.

Back