Headset Question ... Sorry :)

tommywilsonuk

Retro Newbie
Evening chaps.

Ive been reading into this quite a lot and have come to the mecca of all bikes retro to get the gospel.

So Headsets, Im informed that old forks are generally 1", which I beleive my dawes (93/94) to fall into the category off.

Now to replace my headset - Apparently my headset needs to be applicable to the forks I have on my road bike already.. Now does this mean the "type" as 1" or the actual brand and design of my forks?

Im guessing its as simple as me typing in on a cycle parts shop - 1" threaded headset and this will show me headsets I can buy that will match onto my 1" forks? i.e for complete randomness sake http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stronglight- ... prod28371/ this product?

Is that indeed correct or am I trying to simplify something that is far more complexed?

Guys, I apologise for persisting with what are seemingly dumb questions to people whom understand far far much more than I could possibly imagine.. but alas we all have to start somewhere right?

Thank You

Better to ask a question and be a fool for a minute than not to ask and be a fool for a lifetime.

Yes the majority of 1" threaded headset will fit your Dawes. The main differences are the threading; English, Italian, French. Yours is English (as are the vast majority).

The only other thing to consider is the stack height but providing you have not got a very low stack i.e Shimano 105 or Shimano 600 it should not prove to be a problem.

Latest posts

Back