freewheel compatibility

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
I'm not mega skilled mechanically so a query:

Bike with 6 speed freewheel runs fine, but using sprints, so in case of punctures on country roads, i popped on a pair of clinchers.
chain fine, checked with guage, no stiff links...derailleur a bit sloppy on the pivot pins but shifts well on the sprints with a 6 speed Regina freewheel ; the clincher has a 6 speed Atom and wont behave, chain spins over the top or ramps.
No visible signs of extreme wear on either freewheel.

Is this purely because the old chain and freewheel have 'bedded in' together and another freewheel wont work?

any advice really appreciated.

Very likely scenario, usually worse with Campag / Huret rear mechs because of the lack of chain that wraps around the sprockets.

BITD 70's when I worked in a bike shop we almost always swapped the "block and chain" to prevent it. We often threw in the chain atv a discount as we know if we didn't swap the chain as well it would be back in the workshop LOL

Shaun

Seems like a block / chain problem AKA in the 70's as we could stick them on a bike stand and have no problems but as soon as they went on the road they started to skip :)

Was always a mystery why this should happen as the chain in tension "stretches" the upper part of the chain but the remainder of the chain wrapped around the mech is not doing any work at all?

And the chain always seemed to ride over the sprockets at the mech side ?

any chance of swapping the block over .........

Shaun

Could swap, i was trying to save a job of swapping freewheels every time i change a wheelset, maybe I'll try another freewheel on the clincher rear to see if behaves any better? The chain also seemed to jam up on the jockeys also, though that could be because it wasn't seating on the sprockets properly? sheesh... :oops:

Why not try a cheap new chain? Even Asda can do them for under a fiver. A new chain may well cope with a worn block if it is not totally screwed. Of course so will the new block.

Back