Are old Carltons 24 or 26tpi?

oldgit

Retro Guru
I'm looking for a simple restoration, I have a few bits - mafac centre pulls, Fiamme on Tipos, bars, stems etc but no chainset.
Don't want to have problems with headsets, bottom brackets or any other Raleigh unique bits and bobs.

Hi, without going into too much history, a simple plan would be to get a Carlton with 531 tubing, these should have a standard set of threads. My reading of Carlton models ( which will be corrected I'm sure ) is only the lesser models from the mid sixties onwards, made from cheaper non 531 ( avoiding the gas pipe reference ) tubing will have the Raleigh B/B and headset/fork. Terry

Ahh you little tease. Actually just after something to build, that's easy and will make use of all the bits I have. I know a finisher as well. So I hope to have a pretty, semi retro winter hack soon.

yes i had a 1963 ish one with 531 and it had the old Raleigh hard to get thread sizes for bottom bracket and forks , so be warned try and make sure you get both b/b cups .

If you're looking for something comfy you could do worse than a Corsair, I had one afew years ago and loved it, only sold it as it was always a tad too big....some have 531 main tubes only, according to the Reynolds transfer on mine it had 531 butted main tubes, fork blades and stays.
It rode a treat and even had rack mounts that fit perfectly to early Blackburn racks.....some have pressed droputs some have cast rear dropouts with deraillieur mount.
I'd have another tomorrow.

Back