Hubs - Recommendations?

mauricer

Senior Retro Guru
i'm looking into buying a pair of hubs for custom build wheels (w/ mavic open pro rims) and so far people told me Hope Pro 3 would be very solid, but they are also quite expensive. how about the Pro 2? any experience with those?
or other brands that you like?

Hubs

If its Shimano youre into - Hope are perfect and will last forever. I have a pair of Hope mtb hubs (mono?) from about 20 years ago and they have taken thousands of miles of heavy muddy abuse - no bearing adjustment, no problems. They will probably outlive me!
If you need bearings they are cheap and plentiful. All Hope hubs are great - as far as I know. Go Retro with screw-ons and a lightweight freewheel. If you need 8+ rear gears, the Hopes from early cassette versions to todays Pro3s are superb. Buy them cheap and replace the bearings if need be - it only costs a few pound.
All the best.
Gotta admire your patience on these babies - I'd have them built by now!

cheers. yes. the rest is pure dura ace from 2007. i want the wheels nice, but not spent a freaking fortune, so will probably go for the pro 2's... i have not seen cheap hope to buy anywhere now.

hope

If its 10 speed DA, watch for compatibility. Nothing wrong with DA hubs btw - I have only heard of 1 unsatisfied user and he was on here!. They are nice.

technically you can't wear out a hope hub, you just keep replacing the bearings etc if they wear, even the ratchets in side the shell can be replaced, but with dura-ace you can eventually wear out the bearing surfaces, with the hope when you replace the bearings you are effectively replacing the bearing surface aswel.

and the reason you don't find them cheap is because the mark up is really crap, uk labour rates etc.

bargain hubs, check out halo from ison, they do hubs and wheelsets and if i remember correctly there quite cheap for sealed hubs. road and mtb.

hope

If you are supplied direct by Hope their suggested retail price is 100% markup so the retailer does quite well per unit. You can try to offer discounts but Hope don't like it as they like to keep the 'premium brand' and 'British made' image alive. Quite rightly so - they are a quality product.

However - it seems that some BIG outfits like Merlin and Chainreaction can pass on the discounts on fully built wheels, but they can explain it to Hope by telling them they are giving you 'free' spokes or a 'free' build.
I don't get it really - just what is so wrong with doing a little deal for your customers?

Watch out for the Hope Police.

PS: I would have a word with a friendly, friendly lbs owner :D

hey lelobysfoot,

100% mark up!! bluntly, you talking SH*TE!

You obviousley don't work in the trade, or if you do you don't see the acounts or you don't understand how accounts and vat work! i'm gonna tell you how much we make! sorry but this crap annoys me i don't judge you on your profit or wages so it bugs me when people begrudge the bike trade making a (poor) living!

hope pro2 front hub is £27 + vat =£31.72 and it retails for £50 inc VAT so the mark up is £18.27, that's MARK UP, NOT PROFIT!

the profit is probably more like £3! after wages, electricity, postage, etc

the reason why some of the bigger mail order places offer deals on wheels is because they get better margins on the rims because of bulk buying and usually use cheap spokes and a machine to build them, so knocking out loads of wheels an hour. mass production, they can afford to make less because they turn over so many. usually not very well built either.

hope themselves try and keep the playing field level by not doing dicount to anybody unless it's a massive stock in for, say winter lights but you have to commit to buying a load of it, that way when they get enquiries they send them to the guy who committed to the stock in by investing.

there is nothing wrong with doing a deal for a customer but it shouldn't be expected, maybe asked for but not expected, and good customers would probably get an odd freebie or a bit of free help above and beyond what is normal or discount where fair or appropriate but at the owner or managers discretion.

i know you weren't trying to offend the shop staff on here, and you could well be one yourself but you shouldnt comment when you "don't understand"

Also, with respect, why should any customer know how much the shop makes? it's none of their business, i don't know how much my customers make and i wouldn't dream of asking, why? Because it's a bloody rude question, you go ask someone you don't know how much they have in the bank and they'll tell you to F*ck off!

rant over.

Back