Mavic 851 Jockey wheel woes

TyrannosaurusALAN

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I have a beautiful 851 derailleur that I've just started using on a new build but really the jockey wheels need replacing and I'm having trouble finding something suitable.

I've tried switching them out for some spare Dura Ace ones I had laying around but the thickness of the wheel its-self is out by a few mm. Short of using a plastic bushing type washer to space it out a bit, does anyone know of a jockey wheel that WILL fit properly?

Thanks in advance people.

I have a spare Mavic derailleur that I can have a look at - I got it for next to nothing and only needed the stop plate. I'm away from home until 4th June but can have a look at the condition of the jockey wheels when I get back, if you can wait until then. Can't promise anything but you're welcome to them if they're in good nick.

I used BBB jockey wheels for my 851 SSC, pretty sure I used the Shimano 7 / 8 speed version. They come with different spacers to suit and fitted really well. I'll double check tonight what spacers I used but it's easy to work out what ones you want. :)

Edit - Here's a photo:

DSC01282 by Rookilo, on Flickr

RooKilo":2yle1uqb said:
I used BBB jockey wheels for my 851 SSC, pretty sure I used the Shimano 7 / 8 speed version. They come with different spacers to suit and fitted really well. I'll double check tonight what spacers I used but it's easy to work out what ones you want. :)

Edit - Here's a photo:

DSC01282 by Rookilo, on Flickr

+1 - some of those after-market pulleys are really good. I've been using Tacx ones for years with no complaints. They have a similar plastic washer system that allows them to fit just about anything.

David

Hi Rich,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. If it means having the Mavic jockey wheels instead of aftermarket ones then that's certainly the more desirabole option. So, thankyou very much!

Aside from that I must thank the others for their suggestions. I'm sure with a little research I'd be able to find the right thickness spacers to solve the problem.

I'll hang fire 'till I hear back from Rich.

All the best everyone.

Back