Suntour Spirt Setup

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how to set up a Suntour Spirt front derailleur - like the one in the link below:

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... 3&AbsPos=1

The derailleur is reverse action - the shifter lever should be forward for the big ring, and back for the small ring.

What I can't work out is how the cable is supposed to work. The cable clamp is on the body of the derailleur, so it doesn't move. The arm where the cable clamp normally is has a round cable stop that the cable runs through.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Johnny

IIRC the cable bolts onto the band adjacent to the band clamp bolt and the cable stop is on the lower arm.

Pulling the lever pulls the parallelogram towards the cable clamp and therefore moves the chain from the large ring to the small ring (the opposite way to other mechs)..

Have you got a bit missing ?

Shaun

Thanks.

I bought the derailleur NOS and in a sealed bag, so I am almost certain
there's nothing missing.

Thinking back to those days you actually need an outer cable........rather like a brake cable for it to work, in fact the action is akin to a brake caliper..... . It doesn't work with just an inner cable.

Does that make sense?

Shaun

This may help - an earlier Suntour reverse action mech but looks similar in the mechanics.

It's a bit hard to get your head round but the movement is driven by the cable sleeve pushing the lower lever. Because the cable end is fixed to an immoveable part of the derailleur the system works by taking up the slack in the loop of cable within the sleeve (the loop is the only place where the effective length of the cable can alter). The bottom end of the sleeve rests in the cable stop so the other end of the sleeve effectively pushes the lower cable clamp on the mechanism.

There's nothing missing but you do need a stop on the frame - visible bottom left in the picture of my mates Carlton Corsair that I renovated.

P1110177.jpg

Midlife":2226b70d said:
Thinking back to those days you actually need an outer cable........rather like a brake cable for it to work, in fact the action is akin to a brake caliper..... . It doesn't work with just an inner cable.

Does that make sense?

Shaun

I reckon that's it Shaun. You will also therefore need to have a cable stop on the down tube for the other end of the outer cable. This can be a brazed on one or a clamp on one. Something like this will do especially if you can find one without the rear gear cable guide if you don't need it.

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... 3&AbsPos=3

EDIT - beaten to it!! How quick did that happen!!

Incidentally - quite cool to operate; levers forward = warp factor 7 Sulu :LOL:

Old Ned":14x07zsi said:

I'd have been quicker but I had to take the pic and upload it!

rolf f":pl5rlmwa said:
Incidentally - quite cool to operate; levers forward = warp factor 7 Sulu :LOL:

Old Ned":pl5rlmwa said:

I'd have been quicker but I had to take the pic and upload it!

I had to get the Velobase link - so there! :roll: ;)

Thanks for all that, it's all making a lot more sense now.

Unfortunately, the bike I have has brazed on cable guides
(the type brazed on to the top of the BB shell), so I'm
not sure this derailleur is going to work.
Maybe I could construct something out of top tube cable guides,
but it will probably all look like a terrible bodge :oops:

But thanks for the replies anyway.

Johnny

Back