Un-lipped rims. Will I die?

oldgit

Retro Guru
Where do I stand with modern tyres on older 27x11/4 rims. The rims are in very good nick (off here a little while back)
I wanted to run some Continental 27x11/8 tyres on them and reasonable pressures.
Any comments?

You don't mention whether these are steel bead tyre or folding ones. Nor do you mention whether they are steel or alloy rims. Lastly why do you want to put on a narrower tyre?

Folding tyres should not be used on rims without a lip under any circumstances. There is little if anything to be gained passing from 1 1/4" tyres to 1 1/8" tyres, So unless you are looking at 1 1/8" due to better tyre selection and/or quality, it is not worth changing. Lastly, many steel rims are not able to withstand the same high pressure that alloy rims will withstand.

I have had this probloem and the conti tyres popped off when the pressure reached 60 psi. New rims where needed and problem solved.

The rims are alloy (Fiamme) I was going to get some 27x11/8 Contis. I was hoping to run at least 80psi.

Not sure what you mean by unlipped rims (a google search brought me straight to your post, lol) but if it helps I have the Conti 27 x 1-1/8 tyres on my mid 80's Raleigh Royal with Weinmann rims and have never had any problems. The things I don't like about the tyres are the tread (lack of it) and the fact that they are so modern (= ugly) looking. Luckily I have just got a pair of 27 x 1-1/8 Michelin World Tour off ebay so they will be going on as soon as I have time.

One day you're going to die anyway so you may as well do it whilst having fun on your bike!

Ian.

I use some unlipped alloy rims and to reiterate what has been said above. As long as you stick to a wire rimmed tyre you should be ok.

I initialy tried some folding 27x1 1/8" Panaracer Pasela. I fitted & pumped them up as normal, all seemed ok for 5 minutes. Then I heard a strange noise and saw the tyres sliding of the rims. Glad I wasn't riding it at the time.

I now use 27x1 1/4 wire rimmed Paselas, these take 90psi and go up & down curbs ok. They looked a bit like tractor tyres, to my eyes at the start, but they look more normal to me now. Plus they're comfortable.

oldgit":1g850x9j said:
Un-lipped/un-hooked. The rims have no lip to hold the bead of the tyre.

Possibly Weinmann? They didn't have a bead lip but in their day there weren't any folding tyres and people didn't use as much pressure for 'normal' riding. As stated above, use a wire beaded tyre and sufficient pressure to have the tyre 'hard' and you'll be OK.

PS: In response to your question "Will I die?", the answer is a resounding "Yes!" ;) ;) but lets not wish that it happens due to anything bike related...

Latest posts

Back