Reynolds 531 Competition Frames

supersim65

Dirt Disciple
Hi. I'm entirely new to the forum and in fact retro bike building. As such, I need some help. This is one of two matching frames I have picked up. I am now building them up.

I don't even know where to start regarding hardware. I'm used to classic cars so I know it's gonna have to be the right stuff to make them perfect. Does anyone have any recommendations? I mean like brand names, what I should get new/old, stems, headsets, wheels, tyres, anything you think would be cool on these bikes. What would you build them with? I need to learn.

Cheers,

Si

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 2,010
  • forum2.jpg
    forum2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2,010
  • forum3.jpg
    forum3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,010
Welcome to the forum! Watch out it can all get expensive at any time!! You wouldn't go far wrong with Campagnolo. Something like Chorus eight speed on the red frame would look great.

stuff

Hi, keep checking the forums and eBay for stuff.
I would measure yourself up first and check the websites for setup info - ie: crank length, saddle height etc. Leave getting a stem until last because you will need everything else sorted first.

Establish the rear dropout spacing to determine what width hub you can get in and what gears you will be able to run. Keep checking the forums like CTC and this one for wheels, gear bits and advice and eBay when your sure what you need.

Measure the internal diameter of the seatube for the seatpost size. If you dont have calipers or vernier guage, can somebodies 27.2mm one for a start that will give you an idea. The bottom bracket will be English thread so just choose a chainset in the length you need and ask for advice on BB width when you get it.

Chorus is nice. 8sp stuff is quite cheap to get - even new cassettes. And decent secondhand wheels wont cost a fortune. But I reckon both these frames will be 130mm rear end and I would break the 'retro' mould and fit a Veloce/Centaur mixed ergo-shifter group. The new QS stuff is nice and slick. Record chainsets are going really cheap at the moment and are very nice. You will need a 102mm BB for that though but you dont need a Record one - check FSA etc.
I've just build a winter bike with this setup and it was £350 including a second hand 531 frame. There were some really good deals on the websites - like Centaur calipers for £20 and a Record chainset for £45.
Anyway, take your time and don't plump for one website for all your stuff - try Ribble, Parkers, Wiggle, Zepnat, Dotbike, UKBikestore, Totalcycling etc. Stay clear of Mirage - its plasticky and fits the 'buy cheap, buy twice' mould.
The only prob I can see is getting a tasteful quill stem in exactly the length you need. The old Cinellis are getting rare. That will be an eBay job. You could always use a quill converter (yuck) and put an Ahead stem on. One way or another you'll need a 1" threaded headset. Stronglight are good. I would also recommend a Rolls saddle. Nice.
I could go on and I'm starting to ramble. Drop us a line if you need help.
Cheers.

Wow, that's perfect. I'm planning on building one to look pretty in a retro style, then selling it to finance the second one as my own workhorse. I'm maybe seeing that old bikes are worth more in bits though.

I wasn't sure about putting a new bits crank/cassette/derailleurs when I'm trying to build it with old parts where possible.

Cheers, I'll drop you a pm when I get more involved.

Si

Latest posts

Back