campagnolo brake levers - return spring?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This might be a dumb question, but are campagnolo brake levers supposed to have a return spring in them? I just picked up two sets, one I think is either chorus or record, the other I think is athena. Not one of the 4 levers has a return spring, so either they're not supposed to have them, or they're all missing!

And while the chorus/record levers have a grub screw to take everything apart, the athena ones don't - is there anyway to take them apart, or were they not designed to be serviceable?

Thanks, Andy

No return springs in Campag in those days, unlike Shimano. And I've not found a way of taking Athena apart --- the beginning of throw-away Campag...

Ok, thanks! Velobase says that Athena don't have a spring, chorus do. My chorus levers have an alloy body, and there doesn't appear to be anywhere for a spring to go.
Any idea if the Athena blades will fit the chorus bodies, if I can get them out? One of the chorus blades is bent, and the Athena bodies are both cracked...

Cheers, Andy

Normally you just drift out the pivot, it's an interference fit with the body.

IIRC some also have a little screw securing the lever onto the pivot to stop the pivot sliding out sideways.

OK. I need to check the measurements, but it sounds like it should be possible. If it works, then I'm going to need some new hoods, preferably white. Are all campagnolo hoods of that time compatible with all levers? I think record and chorus should at least be the same...? time to check the spares manuals again!

Thanks, Andy

Are you in 'pointy top' era? If so, the rubbers are the same, BUT I think are only available as original Campag ones - I don't know of any aftermarket.

the rubbers on the chorus levers have a mark where a hole could be cut to allow non-aero cable, but they're solid rubber, no bung. the one rubber I have for the athena levers has the bung that can be removed to allow non-aero cables. All levers have the option of aero or non-aero cables. If I can get them to work, I'll be using them with aero/concealed cables.

cheers, Andy

no, sorry, the ones before ergos were introduced!

I've taken a few measurements, and I think I should have no problem fitting the athena blades to the chorus bodies - if I can get them all apart in one piece (if you know what I mean!)

So I guess I'm looking for some hoods now, but all the ones I've seen so far are super expensive!

Andy

Back