Beautiful components...

Rich34

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It's always pleasant to sit and contemplate a beautiful mechanical thing, something that has been created by someone with un-necessary but rewarding attention to aesthetics. A car would be the original E-Type Jaguar, a motorbike would be the Ducati 916. One of the things I love about cycling is the simplicity and beauty of some of the parts that make up the whole bike. One of my favourites are Mavic shifters:

Mavicshifters.jpg

They are simple and beautiful and are all the better for being a moving part of the bike the rider is actually meant to touch and feel. Another favourite of mine are Campagnolo Athena calipers, as fitted to my Campione d'Italia:

athena.jpg

athena2.jpg

I prefer these even to C-Record Deltas.

Let's see the components that make you stop and stare...

It could also be the Scania crank. The crank is now the logo of the Scania trucks (think of that evry time a truck drives past you an the road... :)

The crank is from the end of 1800 and became a logo for the trucks in the beginning of the 1900s

Attachments

• Scania bike crank.jpg
    Scania bike crank.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,336
Yetidh9":15iifwc9 said:
It could also be the Scania crank. The crank is now the logo of the Scania trucks (think of that evry time a truck drives past you an the road... :)

The crank is from the end of 1800 and became a logo for the trucks in the beginning of the 1900s

That I did not know. The same shape has also been used for several saab wheels aswell.

poweredbypies":1alrvu3b said:
Yetidh9":1alrvu3b said:

That I did not know. The same shape has also been used for several saab wheels aswell.

yes the shape is also used on Saab wheels. But I am not sure that the have the same inspiration for their design. Saab took most of its design inspiration from airplaines where Scania is a more down to earth comp. But I will ask into it. I know some folks that is knowledge on the sweedish car/truck stuff..

But very nice cranks, right?

poweredbypies":24b8lykw said:
That crank is lovely. Used to have a saab, loved that car.

Yes, its a real petty that Saab has gone bankrupt. But it makes a lot on the NOS saabs really affordable here in Denmark. It is tempting to get one...

Yetidh9":18fi2rca said:
poweredbypies":18fi2rca said:
That crank is lovely. Used to have a saab, loved that car.

Yes, its a real petty that Saab has gone bankrupt. But it makes a lot on the NOS saabs really affordable here in Denmark. It is tempting to get one...

Do it best car I ever owned and the "new" 95 is georgeous.

The new 95 is also huuuuuge. I had a look at one and it was a monster compared to my 9000.
Sadly I didn't feel lucky and concluded that
a) the future depreciation would be cataclysmic
b) no kind of warranty if Saab went bust...

Campag Deltas also do it for me on looks, even if they aren't very good brakes!

hamster":26aflwky said:
The new 95 is also huuuuuge. I had a look at one and it was a monster compared to my 9000.
Sadly I didn't feel lucky and concluded that
a) the future depreciation would be cataclysmic
b) no kind of warranty if Saab went bust...

Campag Deltas also do it for me on looks, even if they aren't very good brakes!

Delta's are absolutly stunning. Matched to the right frame nothing beats them in the brake comparment.

Yes the new 95 is grande. The front wind screen are get Saab iconic. Could be nice....

Back