saddle set up

macca85

Dirt Disciple
this has always eluded me as to how a saddle should be set up properly so its comfy.
how far forward or back on the post should it be, what angle, where abouts should your arse actually sit on the thing??
Ive just got a brooks saddle so want to make sure i break it in in the right position so any help would be greatly appreciated

Stu

Generally in the middle of the rails - if your saddle is at extremes it's usually because the frame / stem are wrong. If you have very large or small feet then sliding along the rails might help - but remember the all you are doing is adjusting the seat tube rake. Don't slide the saddle to get the reach right, swap the stem.

I set the saddle with the nose slightly above lever, then ride a bit and see which way I slip - if I'm constantly pushing myself back I raise the nose and vice versa.

Job done.

saddle position

Normal starting part is -

set saddle level to ground with spirit level

set saddle height to correct height, take off shoes, put heal on back of pedal, back pedal and adjust height so that your leg is straight without moving on the saddle side to side.

when this is done set the nose of the saddle 1 3/4 inches behind the bottom bracket

length from tip of saddle to the handlebars is usually from elbow to tip of fingers plus one inch.

then it is moving the bits by 1/8th at a time till you feel comfortable.

Got to agree - horizontal or slightly tilted up. I don't know how people ride with the saddle pointing down , they must be constantly sliding forwards. Have a look at the bikes in the pro peloton - none sloping down and they're putting in huge mileages every year :D

To all tips I would add it depends also on the handlebar height. If your position on the bike is to be more upright (handlebar positioned around the same height as the saddle or higher) I your rather tilt the saddle nose up a bit. If we are talking about more of a racer's position (handlebar lower than saddle) then having it level with the ground or tilted nose down could be more comfortable.

It also depends on riding style. If you are going to ride in and out of saddle very frequently (like in cyclocross) then setting it lower and tilted nose down would make much sense.

macca85":258fp6t7 said:
this has always eluded me as to how a saddle should be set up properly so its comfy.
how far forward or back on the post should it be, what angle, where abouts should your arse actually sit on the thing??
Ive just got a brooks saddle so want to make sure i break it in in the right position so any help would be greatly appreciated

Stu

Back