Roadie pedals.

Agency_Scum

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm toying with the idea of roadie ( one sided ) clipless pedals. I'm after the weight advantage, which is why I'm looking for Ritcheys, but what are they like to ride and engage? I'm assuming they'd be much more difficult to clip-in as you'd have to find the locking platform only on one side. Any ideas?

I bought a pair of single sided from E-bay cheap for the road bike having always used two sided SPDs. I now find my self struggling away from juctions trying to kick and clip in(on the right side),where as before it is straight in on a two sided pedal. it may be i've not perfected the action yet, but i prefered the no hastle of the two sided.

Don't get roadie pedals if your route involves traffic or traffic lights. I almost got run over by a bus when I missed teh clip in at the lights and fell A over T. Add that to the fact that roadie shoes have no grip and you're in for a nightmare - especially if you do a majority of your riding on double sided MTB pedals. Now got the same pedals on all my bikes - also means that I can use any of my shoes on any of my bikes!

Agency_Scum":3u6l30qi said:
Sounds like my best compromise ( weight-wise and ergonomically ) will be the Ritchey mtb Pro pedals.

Nice choice. Once i get rid of my crankbros. The Ritchey are my choice :D

I think I annoyed my mate the other week when, after I warned him months earlier that Crank Bros. pedals are brilliant but only fail once and catastrophically they...err.....did just that. :roll:

Agree - dont get road pedals for commuting or start/stop/start/stop.... riding, they rarely engage on first attempt and are designed to connect you to the pedals for several hours of continuous riding.

When I first got into road bikes and joined the local club, I put up with road pedals for so long just because everyone else was riding with them :oops:

Then one day when we were all track standing at an uphill junction I thought this is so bloody stupid we're all wobbling around at a junction just because we all know its going to be a pain to clip back in again :roll: :LOL:

Since that day I've had Time mtb pedals on all my bikes and never looked back :D

Back