Prices

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Tell me I'm wrong but it seems to me that people get a little carried away bidding on the bay.

Example: I tried selling a superb Carlton frame on Retrobike for £75, an almost identical one went on the bay (last couple of days) for nearly £200!

Moral?

If I'm looking for a particular item, frameset, whatever, I'll use a network of contacts to source them (or the less popular jumbles).

At fair - between friends/enthusiasts - prices.

Roadking.

I do not know whether it necessarily is an eBay thing. See the Presto step through in my signature. Zero interested parties on Retrobike. I advertised it in the States and if I had five I could have sold them all the same day.

That's interesting...I had heard of a Hetchins frameset recent going on the UK bay for nearly £3k to the US and the cost of sending it was close to £200!

Apparently a dozen bidders after the price rose beyond £2k.

Not sure if there's a moral here - or maybe it's I should have tried my Carlton on the bay?

Roadking.

Probably a bigger and varied market on ebay, furinstance I don't know how many of the fixie scene frequent these parts :? but thats surely an aspect of inflated prices.

Roadking, I am sorry, but do you mean with 'moral'?

In this context it's something like "a lesson to be learned". Gotta love the way you can twist English around.

Okay, thank you

roadking":3msdyvrw said:
Not sure if there's a moral here - or maybe it's I should have tried my Carlton on the bay?

Roadking.

You could have tried. It doesn't necessarely mean you de value maximalisation than, as the other way round is also possible.

In the past I sold quite a lot through Retrobike and other forums. Sometimes the stuff went quick, sometimes I had to wait a while. In the end I always got the price I was looking for and is reasonable imo. I am not a fan of eBay. I sold some stuff on there, but setting up the ad, the complexity of this institution and the distance in interaction with the people interested - it all makes it less attractive. It is not a community like for example Retrobike what makes dealing less enjoyable imo.

Back