Campag C'Set on a Shimano BB?

keithb

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello,

Would a square taper type Campag Chainset like a Campag Mirage fit on a Shimano type square taper Bottom Bracket like a UN71?

Cheers,

K.:)

Very no. Although it would " fit " the tapers are different angles and you'd sh@g the chainset quite soon as it would need constant re-tightening.

You're after an english thread Campy BB like this.

Ahh so you can but the Campy Chainset will sit 4.5mm further out due to the shorter nature of the Shimano taper.

Good stuff. :)

Thanks chaps. :cool:

It's barely on the taper - only about 5mm or so.
I've tried it and the crank fell off some 100 miles later with the tapers trashed. I knew I had taken a risk and really tightened up the bolt too. :oops:

So try it if you are prepared to trash the crank. However, as Campag BBs are both durable and cheap, I'd just buy one... :cool:

hamster":2pn7cb16 said:
It's barely on the taper - only about 5mm or so.
not my experience. All my bikes have campag chainsets on shimano BB's. They all sit firm & proper, have never had one fall off. Like someone says, they just sit a bit further out, remedied by getting a shorter axle. Only thing to watch is that the axle end fixing bolts should be shimano, campag seems a different threading (it'll work once if youre desperate, , but the bolt threads are then knackered).

hamster":1p61v10t said:
Try it if you are prepared to trash the crank. However, as Campag BBs are both durable and cheap, I'd just buy one... :cool:

Best advice by far.

At the point where I didn't realise the tapers were different I did the opposite and ran a Campagnolo BB with a JIS-tapered chainset. It came loose every few miles.
For the price of a Campagnolo BB, I'd just buy a new one and run your chainset as the manufacturer intended.

I've tried just putting a Campagnolo crank up to a Shimano BB by hand, it goes on about less than halfway.

It seems the Shimano bb is bigger in diameter but has the same taper angle. So when you tighten a Campagnolo crank onto a Shimano BB, it does not go on as far it would on a Campagnolo BB. A Stronglight 49D cranks is even smaller and hardly goes on a Shimano bb at all.

I don't think it's a good idea to have less than the full contact area between the crank tapers and the BB axle. But it seems people haven't had problems with it.

pigman":3q6jp6ih said:
Only thing to watch is that the axle end fixing bolts should be shimano, campag seems a different threading (it'll work once if youre desperate, , but the bolt threads are then knackered).

No the bolts are the same, metric thread (M8?). However, as the Campag BB has a finer tip, you have a good point in that the top of the hole in the crank is a different size.

Latest posts

Back