Pedal Advice Required

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
I'm (still) in the process of building up my Raleigh 753 SBDU frame.

I've most of the parts that I require and I now have to consider pedals. I'm really uncertain what to do here; should I fit some genuine old pedals and use toeclips ? Or should I use something else ? I realise that toeclips are less 'efficient', but I've little knowledge of SPD's etc. etc.

Again, I'd like pedals that are lightweight, look good and are 'in keeping' with the bike - can anyone make any suggestions ?

I'm open-minded as to the type of pedals, with no particular preference - though I'd like to be able to walk in the appropriate cycling shoes.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions.

I bought some Genetik road pedals for my Gios - nice lightweight pista-style pedals for toeclips, but with modern sealed bearings. I bought a pair of Campagnolo Record quill pedals a while back and was pretty narked to find the cage cracked after a short time - Record pedals seem to go for stupid money on ebay these days. The downside over modern pedals and shoes is they aren't anything like as efficient in terms of power transmission and 'comfort' is supplanted by medieval torture based on my L'eroica experiences. I use Time pedals on my modern road bikes and SPDs on my cross bikes. If you want to keep the original 'look' then clips and straps are fine, but for regular riding, I'd prefer clipless.

i use mks sylvan quill pedals on my gitane. they are modern and very lightweight and look period with christophe toe clips and straps
they are also servicable too so should last .
bought off fleabay new old stock

Pedals.

I have Campag C-Record pedals on my SBDU Raleigh - the aero type with"modular"clips and straps - properly adjusted toeclips and straps are fine.

I occasionally use a pair of first gen Looks I bought in the day (80s) with Lake shoes.

I use black leather Diadora's without cleats when using toeclips and straps these days.

Roadking.

Back